Apple Gets Smaller But Retains Horsepower With 9.7-Inch iPad Pro, iPhone SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Cool... now I've got a path to upgrading my iPhone 5. I was thinking that Apple had given up on those of us who want smaller devices, glad to learn I was wrong. Not sure about those color options though.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Apple still plays dirty with marketing .. 16 GB - 64 GB ... because having a 32 GB phone at this time is out of this world and why would anybody buy then the more expensive 64 ? Dirty play all the time.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Those two devices should have had higher screen resolution.
The iphone should have been at the very least 720p. Low end phones have better screen than that now. This isn't 2010 anymore.

As for the tablet, I would have like the same resolution as the bigger pro ipad. That would have been nice.

XM Keeper

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
"makes the device more powerful than an Xbox 360."

Wow. Did you come up with that, or did Apple say that?

Either way, it's stupid.

mrmez

Splendid
Apple still plays dirty with marketing .. 16 GB - 64 GB ... because having a 32 GB phone at this time is out of this world and why would anybody buy then the more expensive 64 ? Dirty play all the time.

Ehhhh... how is that dirty?
They advertise a capacity, and you get to use that capacity, unlike Microsoft.
Buy a 32Gb Surface RT, only to find 15Gb of space available.
Or go the 64 and get 37.
THAT is dirty.

fudoka711

Distinguished

Ehhhh... how is that dirty?
They advertise a capacity, and you get to use that capacity, unlike Microsoft.
Buy a 32Gb Surface RT, only to find 15Gb of space available.
Or go the 64 and get 37.
THAT is dirty.

iPhone SE = phone
Surface RT = tablet
iOS = smaller
Windows RT = bigger

Not really sure why you're going the route you're going when the original point was about the newest iPhone still only offering a 16gb and 64gb option, without a 32gb option. Compare phones to phones next time.

As for the new iPhone SE, it is nice that those people who wanted a smaller, easier to hold phone, actually have a new option.

mrmez

Splendid
Yeah, yeah. Got it.

I still don't understand how its 'dirty'.
Restrictive, limiting, not catering to the consumer, profit maximising, sure. Call it all of those, but not dirty.

I get the difference between a phone, a tablet, and a basic OS and a full OS, but that didn't stop plenty of people feeling pissed when they found less than 50% of the expected space free on their tablet, when android and apple tablets worked otherwise.

araczynski

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
[/quote]

I agree on the missing 32, although having a 64 wouldn't be a bad idea either, since people love filling their storage up with photos and videos taken with the phone...

Lord Nirvash

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I agree on the missing 32, although having a 64 wouldn't be a bad idea either, since people love filling their storage up with photos and videos taken with the phone...

agree on both, 16GB now a days is very few. They should start at least in 32. imho they should go 64 and 128 at same prices and loose some margin in exchange of marketshare.

mrmez

Splendid
64 and 128 at the same price?
Wuuut?

Then people will bitch that they're really just bumped the price of 64 up to the price of 128, and are now price gouging.

That's a dumb idea.
Who would EVER buy 64 if 128 was the same price?

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
What gets to me is people making comments about the storage size. Are those people upset because they want to buy a 32 gig version of the phone and cant? are they just whining cause they can? As far as 16gigs not being enough. I personally have a 16 gig Iphone 6... and 16gigs is ample storage for me. I don't use my phone for pictures for the most part. I use my phone as a phone and a internet terminal.On that rare occasion I do take a photo its normally emailed and deleted. I honestly wonder how many people who whine about Apple products not being what they want. Had any attention of ever buying a apple product. The same goes for Android bashers are intel/AMD bashers. Thought I guess at this point I am the pot calling the cattle black.

MrKKBB

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I found it quite humorous that Apple poked fun at people that have PCs that are 5 years or older, but yet did not refreshed the Mac Book Pro in a year. I was looking forward to upgrading my late-2011 release that has 16GB ram and 1TB SSD. I am left waiting, wondering is it time to move to PC or do good things come to those that wait -- I've been waiting for a while now.

MagusALL

Honorable
May 24, 2013
I don't think it is "dirty" per say to offer 16GB and 64GB but I do think the lowest Apple storage option should be 32Gb like my three year old Windows Phone. At least with 32Gb you know you will have decent space after the OS. Or why don't they stop what their real dirty tactic is and add expandable memory like every other brand does. If I can buy a 64Gb MicroSD for $20 why does it cost me $100 more to gain only 48GB? That is dirty. I love this new phone, the specs at least, as I went from the iPhone 5 to a Lumia which I absolutely love btw. I agree with the poster who said sell your Apple stock. I don't truly see where the company is headed. They put out less powerful iMacs etc. and charge a premium for absolutely everything just to say "I have an iPhone/iPad/iMac". Desktop-wise Windows 10 is going to cream them in the future when using Intel chips and chipsets. Lightning? How about a more universal USB 3.1 Type C? Every other company is finding success in the way the consumer feels about the value aspect of what they purchased. Apple doesn't give good value. I loved my iPhone 5 but after having a 4 and 4S I wanted something different and I'm glad I did because using a Microsoft PC along with a Windows Phone gives a really great experience which I am certain will only get better as devs start to realize that the iPhone is now the phone our parents all have and consumers want value, good specs, expandable memory (200GB for the Lumia 950XL on top of stock 32GB!). As someone who has built my own PC I don't see the value whatsoever in an Apple PC laptop or desktop. They overcharge for absolutely everything. Routers, cables, phones, tablets, PC's by far, anytime you want a step up it costs a huge premium. Now if they offered the SE with expandable memory I think they would have had a runaway success but they didn't. Also for the poster that didn't understand the comment about margins/marketshare I assume he meant the same price for 16/64GB and 64/128GB not offering the same phone with double the memory for the same price as that makes no sense at all. Sometimes I don't even realize how some of the commenters get to this website haha. Techy they are not. But my honest opinion, using every OS and 32/64bit phones/tablets with varying storage options I think Windows Phones and Windows 10 is going to be the setup most people will like the most, good value, expandable for cheap, high specs, many options, amazing phone displays and the cameras simply blow away the competition and as a Dad of a 6 yr old boy and 10 yr old girl the photos look so much better and having them printed out thru Shutterfly/Snapfish/Etc. makes them look sooo much better than iPhones. I just think that Apple has simply hit a brick wall once Steve Jobs passed and now its time for Microsoft to gain phone marketshare with their really, truly good and cheap lineup and IDK to me android is so blah I don't like it. My Lumia comes with stock OneDrive (cloud storage) of over 100GB and I can make a Word or Excel file whenever I need or want to edit something or write a new note. Try it out maybe you too will like it, but for me the SE looked so good until I saw the 16/64GB gap and the $499 price tag. Give me 32GB at $399 and you might have had me buy the wife one but I don't think so now. For less than that I can get an unlocked Windows Lumia 950 XL with a 5.7" 1440p display, expandable memory up to +200GB, eight cores, Windows Mobile 10 and a future that looks bright and not bleak and boring, running out of ideas. And oh yeah the Apple Watch? Bleh. I will take the Microsoft Band 2 any day for $175. Ok back to gaming on my Windows 10 Pro with 2 SSD's, 4 HDD's, 16GB DDR3 RAM and two MSI GTX 970's that I built for less than an iMac. Value. You either got it or you got an iPhone 6/6S. Just my $0.02.

mrmez

Splendid

On the iPhone/iPad, the capacity you buy is the space YOU get (or pretty close).
The OS is stored separately, so 16Gb nets you ~15Gb for you and you alone to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.