Apple: People Will Upgrade to Macs, Not Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I don't get the Apple/Mac mentality... "Why upgrade?? Just buy a whole new machine for a lot more!" Maybe I do get it... revenue...

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
well at the pricetag that their hardware has if they would put a 200$ OS upgrade that would be suicide at least this is one thing to brag about to make customers come to them but we all know how any company behaves when they are the top brand so by then they will have expensive PC hardware and expensive OS ... so shut the f... up Apple.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Ummmm, weather or not they move from XP to Vista or XP to Mac, they'll have to go through the same daunting file transfer process. And now they'll have to worry about weather or not they can open their files on the Mac or if they have to buy the compatible software, or if they have to run Windows on the Mac for compatibility purposes. IMO, why not just get Windows 7? :)

martin33w20

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Sounds like another (if you build it they will come statement), Apple does what the people who use it want. Apple is just over priced and will never get the widspread attention they are trying to get with the limited compatibility, that PC useres require.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Apple, screw you. Fresh install of an OS or buy a whole new machine with a fresh install of a completely unfamiliar OS. Why that makes sense.... no...

coonday

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't think he actually believes any of this bs he's spitting out. I think Apple is just worried because once they can't bash Vista in their commercials any more they will have nothing left to criticize.

beehew

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Gee...I'm too afraid to install Windows 7, so the solution is to buy an overpriced Mac for a couple thousand and have to learn a whole new OS? Apple is so full of itself.

If someone is going to buy a new computer instead of going through the fearsome task of :gasp: installing a new OS, they could just-- buy a PC with Win7 already on it!

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Schiller reasons that those running Windows XP machines may view the upgrade to Windows 7 as too complicated and daunting, giving customers a reason to ditch PC for Mac instead.

It's the Digital Age, and if people think an upgrade to Windows 7 is too complicated, and even daunting... then go to Mac, please! Let the rest of us evolve in peace.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Some of this does make sense. Most windows users don't 'upgrade' their Windows version after all. They tend to buy a whole new computer. I don't mean enthusiasts, of course, but then half of those will pirate Windows anyway. When you're talking average home/work computer, however, few users will be bothered to buy an upgrade and even fewer are willing to pay the exorbitant upgrade prices Microsoft charges. They're more likely to lump it with what they've got until they buy a new computer.
There comes the point though, every time a user comes to buy a new computer, they will have the opportunity to consider buying a Mac. If they've had an unpleasant user experience so far then they could edge towards the Mac side even more. This has less to do with Windows 7 and more to do with the user experience your average user has had with Vista/XP over the years.
A new Windows release has the result of boosting PC sales - this is also likely in part due to PC manufacturers taking the opportunity to pump out extra advertising for users to buy new computers with the new OS. Hence more average computer owners will get it into their heads that it may be time to buy a new machine than usual. This can also lead to an increase in Mac sales as a by-product since some users will think "Actually, do I really want Windows again? Windows 7 is meant to be better but... I've really hated Vista so maybe when I buy a new computer I'll try something different."
Keep in mind that what I've written above is not typical of the average user on here who is far more likely to buy a Windows 7 upgrade and is very unlikely to buy a Mac ever. I'm not talking about gamers, I'm talking about the average user, the average college student, the average housewife, the average parent etc.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]"Any user that reads all those steps is probably going to freak out. If you have to go through all that, why not just buy a Mac?" says Schiller.[/citation]The more times I read over this, the more it makes me laugh.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Whisfull thinking...

The entire macs in existence add just to the decimals on the number of windows in existence.... and that is not accounting the DIY PCs in the world. Only the trademarks ones.

On developping markets 99% of PCs are DIY (Assembled in retail stores), trademark PCs are on the 1%, and Macs are just a statistical error.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
"Any user that reads all those steps is probably going to freak out. If you have to go through all that, why not just buy a Mac?" says Schiller.

Translation: Schiller thinks potential Mac users are morons.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Okay, with an article title like this one I think Tom's is just baiting us now. There's going to be some great feedback this time 'round! That said, let me offer an analogy for "upgrading" a mac from a Windows PC: Oh look, my screwdriver is worn out, I think I'll upgrade to a hammer. You need the right tool for the job, and a mac is the wrong tool for anything I use a computer for. I'd love to see how well a mac could crunch complex toolpath in Mastercam or get 80 fps in Crysis.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
running windows 7 on a mac is just silly. unless it's an old mac you just have laying around. or some people just want to spend twice as much on a computer so they can talk about how they switched to mac.

/rant

microsoft should give free upgrades to anybody w\ vista though... because 7 is really a finalized version of vista ( which i had no problem with )

dbzpic1

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I'll buy a Mac when I'm able to run whatever I want on it like Windows..... Or no, not then even, because there will be the inevitable virus apocolypse that will soon fall upon Apple products because they were so cocky about never getting any. Instead of being prepared with anti-virus softwares on PCs, you'll just get it up the rear when people start getting funny and rain down viruses on Macs for once.

Since when could you build your own Mac also..... if you can, strike that comment heh

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Marcus, this is the second time you are posting this.
I understand there is value in repetition when trying to convince yourself of something that is irrational, but there is no need to take it on us.

Not if you already have a good PC and just want Windows 7 instead of Vista...
AND not if apple doesn't lower thier prices.
The average job will not go out and drop $2000 on an apple when they can get the same hardware in a PC for $1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.