Info Apple Reportedly Snatched Intel's Top 5G Developer Before Qualcomm Settlement

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I think this just shows you shouldn't do business with Apple. As soon as they drop you as a supplier they sue you. When Apple realized they won't have a 5G phone for 2 years they settled.

Co BIY

Splendid
Maybe canceling the 5g modems frees up some 10nm fab time for the chips PC enthusiasts really want out of Intel. It seems like sometimes when the tech market is hot there really isn't competition and everyone can sell everything they can build. More market demand than total capacity.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Apple wouldn't offer Intel enough money for their modems for it to be a profitable endeavor. I believe Intel could have pulled this off had they offered Intel more money per modem. Intel has the patent portfolio to pull 5G off, not to mention some of the worlds smartest engineers, but Apple overplayed it's hand when they demanded tight schedules and small royalty payments. Instead of paying Intel what their modems were worth, Apple is now paying Qualcomm 2-3 times what their modems are worth.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Apple wouldn't offer Intel enough money for their modems for it to be a profitable endeavor. I believe Intel could have pulled this off had they offered Intel more money per modem. Intel has the patent portfolio to pull 5G off, not to mention some of the worlds smartest engineers, but Apple overplayed it's hand when they demanded tight schedules and small royalty payments. Instead of paying Intel what their modems were worth, Apple is now paying Qualcomm 2-3 times what their modems are worth.

Actually, they appear to be paying Qualcomm EXACTLY what their modems are worth. Which was the whole issue for a company (Apple) used to bullying and leveraging their suppliers to the point where their profit margin almost disappears.