Apple Says Optical Drives Were Holding It Back

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
The only thing optical drives was holding back was the iTunes/App Store profit.

Mr Schiller, could you please indicate me were I can buy a movie with the same quality that's on the Bluray?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
So, when can I get an 1080p (artifact-free) video with uncompressed 5.1 surround audio through iTunes? And how do you plan on uploading that to me in less time than it takes to drive to the nearest store (in the next town even) to buy a blu-ray?

I would rather have all my movies on a hard drive, but that doesn't mean I want to lose out on quality in the process or be locked to ONLY one player. When a solution arrives that is open to all markets and doesn't sacrifice quality, then I'll be convinced to ditch the drive.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
It seems the common trend these days is to completely eliminate or get people to stop using physical media and instead use digital distribution aka corporations don't want you to really "own" anything. This is how I see the future will become. Soon every thing will be sold as a license use, and that no one will ever truly own something they paid for. USB is our last bastion against this assault of ownership. I hope you all realize that this push of transitioning to digital distribution we will end up losing all ownership rights and we wont be able resell or buy used.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Then again, as far as other solutions that do not require downloading are concerned, I would rather have a flash drive or something equally small with no moving parts instead. I don't see why this hasn't entire replaced optical systems. I would like to see super cheap flash storage available that can be swapped between people as casually as current discs. That would truly remove the need for an optical drive.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I agree with Apple on this one, and I own no Apple products (and never will).The days of the big tower are coming to an end.Small/ light weight computers look better and fit into most living rooms better (or mine anyway...). If you need an optical drive for storage just buy an external drive. It does not need to be in your PC.[/citation]

Tell that to someone running a triple-SLI system. I would not trade the ability to easily upgrade my system or the ability to support the fastest components just to gain 1sq.ft. of space in my house.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I really dont see how optical drives can hold Apple back, other than for style over function. It's a Computer, I want it to do everything, even when offline. I want play old media as well as new. There is no beat Blu Ray for movie quality (at least for now).

G

You've got to be kidding me. If movies went strictly to online streaming and you cant buy a DVD of it, If Apple has their way and the movie companies agree to it, consider the DVD dead. Guess that resorts me to either a.) Never able to watch a movie again unless in the theater or on cable TV or b.) download via illegal means due my internet not being fast enough to stream.

End result= Less money for the movie industry due to no longer being able to buy DVD movies or less money due to being only able to pirate movies due to being unable to stream. Loss/Loss for the movie industry which has already been complaining enough about financial losses due to piracy. The movie industry will end up turning to crap like the music industry did.

BTW, I will never buy music or movies I don't physically own. It is pure stupidity IMO. Plus when the internet goes out, that's what movies are for. ;)

halcyon

Splendid
I hardly ever ever ever use physical optical media, but that's my choice. I wouldn't like not having the choice. Apple isn't removing the choice until they stop selling the external USB drives for those that still want them. As far as the iMac though. Yuk. ...the old design was more asthetically pleasing and had the built in drives. The new one reminds me of one of Lindsay Lohan...sick looking. Yuk.

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]Can someone explain what Apple will use to replace the optical disks? USB drives?I also don't like them, but there needs to be some good offline way to distribute - re-install the OS and some apps.[/citation]

Most likely digital download...... I have a bootable USB (i created) with Mountain Lion in case of SSD failure. In addition to the Mountain Lion Partition the OS creates in the SSD. You don't need to take it to the Apple store, that's BS. While some are still using discs, others like me use the disc drive about 2 times in a year. I don't see the need of forcing people like me to buy laptops with disc drive. They are giving customers an option. If you don't need it, no need to pay for it, it doesn't come with one, but if you need it, you can buy one. There is no one size fit all with computers, everybody have different needs.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro, my wife has a 2012 MacBook Air.

Status
Not open for further replies.