Apple's Lightning Connector Has Knock-Off Preventing Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

game junky

Distinguished
Oh Apple, can't you be a participator - your loyal following will still give you a hefty allotment of their monthly check for your gadgets, can't you let the cheapskates like myself have our dignity back by not having to spend $19 on a frickin sync cable?

Lame

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
This isn't surprising really, Apple makes money hand over fist from their accessory sales. So in their eyes they are both increasing the quality on the market (until someone comes up with a workaround or if possible a chip that can spoof their authentication) and increase the rate of direct accessory purchases from Apple.

I heard rumors about this happening (or something like it) but it looks like it was implemented.

samkl

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Is there is no significant reason for the chip and it's there to keep 3rd party cables out. It's the leap towards "SONY-fication" of Apple. In 7-10 years, Apple will find itself where Sony is now. I am beginning to question if I should upgrade from 4s to 5 or ditch Apple ecosystem.
-SK

f0xnewz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012
I'm not Apple Fan Boy, but I do like iPods, specifically the shuffe. Best sports/running audio player Iv ever owned. It wont fall off, the charge lasts for a good 8 hours of playback at high volume. However I lost my charger and tried to buy one off of Amazon, first a $3 one, then a $8 one, none of them worked. I ended up coughing up the money to apple and hey it worked.

My brother gave me his old iPhone 3gs and I use it for video games on the couch. Same problem, again tried cheap 3rd party cords they all failed. Got a real one and it worked.

I do think this is going a bit far, but since iv been burned in the past I can kinda see where they are coming from. It weeds out the bottom feeder rip off artists.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Isn't there an anti-competitve law someplace that this violates? Someone call the lawyers... I'm certain there is no shortage of people that want to sue apple.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
crApple products now with chips that won't allow you using 3rd party stuff..

Next: crApple docks, crApple car stereos... Anything that they can make so people can use their iPhones.
Why? Cuz if there is this chip on a cable than you can imagine that you will not be able to use docks that don't have the same chip..

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'd like to see the Apple fan boys justify this one. I have an older iPod I use in my car and I've always bought cheap ($8ish) replacement cables off of Amazon. I'd imagine that after a few months someone will figure out how to bypass the chip. If I remember correctly the 30 pin connector had to have some internal resistors to function properly.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]f0xnewz[/nom]I'm not Apple Fan Boy, but I do like iPods, specifically the shuffe. Best sports/running audio player Iv ever owned. .[/citation]

Try a Sandisk next time, not much bigger, but with a hella lot more memory (16gb on board and with a micro SD slot) and it has better controls.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I like that move!
Really; i think it is great. Anything to show those loyal Apple clones what kind of company they are loyal too.
Can't wait to see Ford or GM to come out with a new car that uses nuts and bolts with embedded computer chips so only an authorized Ford Dealer can change your tires, your oil and the air filter.

G

Wow what a fallacious article.

Do I need to remember you all about the Lightning ability to dynamically address pin signal, making this port reversible and future proof? To work you need a controller chips in your cable like thunderbolt, so please cut the crap of evil Apple scheme, it's only a cable god damn.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Any tech owned by apple will never see the light of day again whether they are using it or not. Much as I admire their products I simply cannot support their business moral. They have actually become the guy who bought all the houses on the block just to have space between them and the neighbours. Rather sad.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]BigMac2[/nom]Wow what a fallacious article.Do I need to remember you all about the Lightning ability to dynamically address pin signal, making this port reversible and future proof? To work you need a controller chips in your cable like thunderbolt, so please cut the crap of evil Apple scheme, it's only a cable god damn.[/citation]

This capability could have been built into the ports on the connected devices. Putting it on the cable is just a way to make $$$ from 5c chips.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]samkl[/nom]Is there is no significant reason for the chip and it's there to keep 3rd party cables out. It's the leap towards "SONY-fication" of Apple. In 7-10 years, Apple will find itself where Sony is now. I am beginning to question if I should upgrade from 4s to 5 or ditch Apple ecosystem. -SK[/citation]
I ditched after the iPod touch.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Seriously ? you have to overpay even a stupid simple cable ? I`m still amazed why in the hell are people still supporting Apple ...Ok i get it, you like the product is nice shiny etc .. but look around it how closed it is .. starting from the OS and ending to a stupid cable .. you get very nice stuff from it`s competition very easy ... and you can even charge your phone with a simple USB cable to any USB port around ...

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I saw a patent application a few years ago from apple fortelling something like this.
It was a way to lock your device to a specific charger. Of course apple had spun it as a security and anti-theft 'feature' but it was abundantly clear that it was actually just leading to the current cable and to (even) more customer lock-in and unnecessary cost.
Dick and Leo discussed it on the GizWiz show.

Status
Not open for further replies.