Question Are cheap tablets a security risk?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I am just wondering if cheap android tablets from Amazon could be a security risk? My mom wanted me to get her a tablet "for her cat" so I got this super cheap one and as I was about to log it on to her wifi when it dawned on me this no name (literally no branding on box) Chinese tablet could come with malware pre-installed and would then have access to her network.

Is this is legitimate concern or am I being paranoid?

Solution
A bit of both.

It's possible that the tablet does have custom firmware that sends data to the Chinese state - but unlikely. It's also unlikely that the the Chinese state would find the cat's data useful.

Amazon usually have a good returns policy so you could send it back and buy a different one from a big-name, non-Chinese manufacturer.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
A bit of both.

It's possible that the tablet does have custom firmware that sends data to the Chinese state - but unlikely. It's also unlikely that the the Chinese state would find the cat's data useful.

Amazon usually have a good returns policy so you could send it back and buy a different one from a big-name, non-Chinese manufacturer.

Solution
A couple of things you can do to minimize issues of some untrusted device you want to put on the network:
  • If it wants an email address or some account credentials, have a throw-away one that you don't care about if it gets compromised.
  • See if your router can create compartmentalized guest networks. I have one setup for the only IoT device I've decided to connect to the internet.
As always, make sure your networking equipment is using up to date firmware.

TRENDING THREADS