[SOLVED] Are GPON and EPON ONTs Intercompatible ?

ahmadausaf999

Commendable
Feb 8, 2018
I currently have a 500/500 Mbps PON Connection (don't know whether it is GPON or EPON), but the router supplied by my ISP performs extremely poorly.

I've been planning to replace it with this GPON router :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32799325864.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.62fc2e0eRhskot
specially since this one has POTS port, eliminating my need to use a separate VOIP gateway adapter.

Will this work if my line is EPON ?

This is what my router page shows :
cjLx2hL.png

Solution
No way to even guess there are many forms of even gpon. There are many settings that can make it different.

It is not just the GPON there is also the fiber which can run many different combinations of light frequencies. There is no way to say for sure if this unit matches what your ISP is using.

They likely will not allow it. Anyone could just splice into a fiber and hook up a box they purchased off the internet. Even if you purchased a device of the exact same brand and model as you current one you ISP would have to activate it on their network. Since they like to have firmware revisions the same they do not want to support a bunch of different brands even if it would work.

There is no way you are just going to get a...
No way to even guess there are many forms of even gpon. There are many settings that can make it different.

It is not just the GPON there is also the fiber which can run many different combinations of light frequencies. There is no way to say for sure if this unit matches what your ISP is using.

They likely will not allow it. Anyone could just splice into a fiber and hook up a box they purchased off the internet. Even if you purchased a device of the exact same brand and model as you current one you ISP would have to activate it on their network. Since they like to have firmware revisions the same they do not want to support a bunch of different brands even if it would work.

There is no way you are just going to get a magic POTS lines. Someone have to setup and pay for the phone number. Your ISP would have to offer that service.

Solution

ahmadausaf999

Commendable
Feb 8, 2018
I have a VoIP Server in the cloud that provides a CUG network for me and my extended family. Since the POTS port on this router supports manual VoIP server configuration,

I thought this would work. But now I know there's no guarantee this box will even provide Internet, so leave the idea.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

ahmadausaf999

Commendable
Feb 8, 2018
Recently had a consult with the technician who installed my connection, and he said I'm free to use any box that supports the standards.

Although, he didn't know for sure if my connection was EPON/GPON, he said that most ONU are hybrid ones, and can support both standards, since the wavelength used in both cases is the same. I just needed to enter LOID and the correct MAC to get authenticated on the fiber line.

TRENDING THREADS