Are military grade CPUs a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Backstory:

My friend had a desktop built for him (by another friend, it was a birthday present) and every time we talk about our desktops and video games in general, he always brings up that he has the best of the best military grade components.

Frankly, I keep on calling bull sh*t on him because he can't even name his CPU or his graphics card.

So my question is, are there actually "military grade" CPUs out on the market and how do they compare to "regular" Intel/AMD CPUs in terms of gaming?

Solution
MSI sells a few motherboards they dub as "Military class", they even have a camouflage pattern to the paint scheme. I don't imagine the Air Force is using camouflage gaming motherboard in their systems.

Your friend is an idiot.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

It just a marketing word that MSI used to persuade consumer to buy their product. But to me, "Military Grade" is just another word for high performance and quality.

Alceister

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

Actual military-grade computer components have completely different requirements than consumer-grade ones. Performance-wise, they tend to actually be worse than civilian ones because they're designed with an emphasis on durability, reliability, long-term function, environmental adaptability, and uniform design. Closest thing to a "mil-spec" computer that is commonly available on the consumer market would be the Panasonic Toughbook or other rugged laptop designs.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

This thread is 4 months old and already solved completely. Please do not dig up old threads, stick to current ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.