Are my cpu and gpu temps to high?

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Hello everyone I am a little concerned about my cpu and gpu temps.

My specs:
Micro atx h81 motherboard
I5 4440
Gtx 970 4gb

Gpu: idle temp- 53C / gaming 70C

Cpu: idle- 50C / gaming- 64C

This is playing Star Wars battlefront so it's not even like far cry 4. I'm just a little concerned because when I'm playing games my computer cranks out heat so bad I get really hot in my room.
All of the fans are stock there. This is also a pre built pc I just upgraded the gpu. The case is a mid tower and isnt really spacious. The gpu only has about an inch and a half of space from the fans to the bottle of the case.I'm wondering if buying an after market full tower case with more space and some case fans will help.

Also does the power supply wattage effect this? If the power supply is to low? It's a 520W

Solution
GPU coolers are tricky to replace, and I would recommend an after market CPU cooler, but my i5-4590 -which is a similar CPU - runs at 28 degrees idle with a stock cooler. There are a few things you can do to find the problem. First, go into task manager and check if any tasks are running intensively on your cpu while you aren't gaming.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014

what is recommended to be done? do you think a full tower case will work or should i buy some after market coolers?

jetfighter545

Reputable
May 20, 2015
GPU coolers are tricky to replace, and I would recommend an after market CPU cooler, but my i5-4590 -which is a similar CPU - runs at 28 degrees idle with a stock cooler. There are a few things you can do to find the problem. First, go into task manager and check if any tasks are running intensively on your cpu while you aren't gaming.

Solution

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Both of those temps were with the case open. I could get an after market CPU cooler from new egg. But whats a solution for my GPU?

I imagine since the case was open and i got those temps then getting a new case should be in my near future.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Yeah I can get around my bios on this pc.

I just downloaded msi after burner and it turns out my gpu fans were set to never come on. I turned them on 50% and my gpu temp went down to 60C or so when gaming. It still cranks out hot air it literally makes my room 80 degrees. Is there a way to get the temp ever lower when gaming? So the damn thing isn't a space heater.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Hmm I wonder if a new case will even effect it then.

I have another question, sorry for picking your brain.

I don't know if your familiar with msi afterburner but I'm looking through the options and I see a power limit percentage, what does that do exactly? My card isn't over clocked.

jetfighter545

Reputable
May 20, 2015
No problem. I have a lot of spare time. The power limit is how much power your graphics card is allowed to take from your PSU. It is mainly meant for over/underclocking. If its 0 its normal. More power is used depending on how far the slider is put, e.g. +10 = 10% more power allowed, -5 = 5% less power allowed.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Okay so when I move the scroll across on that power limit bar all the way to the end the number goes from 100 stock to 58. Is that what you meant by underclocking? Because I just set it to that and started playing one of my games and it ran fine and the temp only got to 50C.

jetfighter545

Reputable
May 20, 2015
It might be hurting the GPU. I would put it higher, but I also see that your fan is running auto. put the fan on a higher percent. Your cpu having a low temp as a consequence means your CPU is probably fine. It would just be the graphics heating up the whole case.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Okay I'll set it higher and probably just have to deal with the gpu being at about 60C when gaming.

I was thinking that about the cpu too, the heat from the graphics card is probably raising the temp of the cpu.

And yes I have kept a close eye to task manager it hasn't had any significant back round usage