[SOLVED] Are my device partitions correct in regards to boot times?

RabbitohRager

Honorable
Feb 9, 2015
Hello,

So long story short I was irritated about hearing my mates pcs' boot in around 15 seconds (2 drives) and 25 seconds (3 drives) and after research I realized my 5 drive system takes longer (34 seconds) due to having so many drives and it taking longer for the I think mobo to read them all and initialize them despite my OS being on an m.2 nvme ssd.

However I read one thread mentioning to make sure you don't have extra partitions or secondary partitions active for non C: drives as it can slow down the boot time?

Could anyone with expertise regarding this check my attached screenshot to determine if the partitions for my drives are ok? Pretty much just trying to optimize the system as much as I can. I already have refined start up programs/services and have no gui boot enabled. Thanks for your time, any help is appreciated.

Solution
  1. More physical drives will take longer in the boot cycle.
  2. The difference in boot time between NVMe and SATA III SSD is minimal. There are many more things going on other than raw drive speed.
Hello,

So long story short I was irritated about hearing my mates pcs' boot in around 15 seconds (2 drives) and 25 seconds (3 drives) and after research I realized my 5 drive system takes longer (34 seconds) due to having so many drives and it taking longer for the I think mobo to read them all and initialize them despite my OS being on an m.2 nvme ssd.

However I read one thread mentioning to make sure you don't have extra partitions or secondary partitions active for non C: drives as it can slow down the boot time?

Could anyone with expertise regarding this check my attached screenshot to determine if the partitions for my drives are ok? Pretty much just trying to optimize the system as much as I can. I already have refined start up programs/services and have no gui boot enabled. Thanks for your time, any help is appreciated.

Not true, secondary partitions on BOOT drive will not slow down BOOT, slow HDDs can even benefit of smaller C: partitions as they can be read faster.
What machine is that, there's no UEFI.