[SOLVED] Are my motherboard and psu compatible

Sep 15, 2021
I want to build a low profile pc I want to use a seasonic 300tbs psu with a MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX but when I'm trying put these together on pc parts picker it says there not compatable,is it just pc part picker being wrong or is there a compatability issue with this combo.

Solution
Don't see any reason why it'd be incompatible other than it being such a low wattage rating and the B450 is designed to handle a 3900x/5950x power draw, which could potentially overload the outputs on individual rails. Ryzen cpus require a graphics card and there's very few cards left that don't require at least a 6pin pcie. Cpu + gpu = disaster for 300w psu.

Pcpartpicker.com gets much of its info from user feedback or factory specs, it doesn't test everything physically, so if some ppl claim it's not a good fit, it could simply be because they have a high tier cpu and gpu. Take incompatibilities with a grain of salt, or 3.

But it's good that you asked. It's a decent psu, for office/grandma's web surfer, but not for anything paired...

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
What is your budget? What other components you want to buy?
B450 PRO motherboard and low end psu is like planting a bomb.
Buy PSU from mid-tier list:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't see any reason why it'd be incompatible other than it being such a low wattage rating and the B450 is designed to handle a 3900x/5950x power draw, which could potentially overload the outputs on individual rails. Ryzen cpus require a graphics card and there's very few cards left that don't require at least a 6pin pcie. Cpu + gpu = disaster for 300w psu.

Pcpartpicker.com gets much of its info from user feedback or factory specs, it doesn't test everything physically, so if some ppl claim it's not a good fit, it could simply be because they have a high tier cpu and gpu. Take incompatibilities with a grain of salt, or 3.

But it's good that you asked. It's a decent psu, for office/grandma's web surfer, but not for anything paired with higher tier components.

Solution
Sep 15, 2021
What is your budget? What other components you want to buy?
B450 PRO motherboard and low end psu is like planting a bomb.
Buy PSU from mid-tier list:
MY cpu is around £700 and I'm planning to use a athlon 3000g cpu with a m.2 ssd the prices in the UK have jumped realy high over the last year.

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
MY cpu is around £700 and I'm planning to use a athlon 3000g cpu with a m.2 ssd the prices in the UK have jumped realy high over the last year.
What? 700 funts???
I recommend EVGA G5 SuperNova 650W gold or Cooler Master V2 V650 60W gold. Chieftec Eco series 600W, bronze. Never buy used one.

Sep 15, 2021
I want to build a low profile pc I want to use a seasonic 300tbs psu with a MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX but when I'm trying put these together on pc parts picker it says there not compatable,is it just pc part picker being wrong or is there a compatability issue with this combo.
If anyone has a TFX psu in mind I can buy in the UK please tell me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That psu hit the shelves in 2021, it's brand spankin new. It's not a DC/DC converter design, so suffers from normal group regulated foibles, like 252w on the 12v rails, the TGS (gold rated version) would be a better option as it Is DC/DC. But at 300w output, it's not like you are going to be worried about OC stability, extreme boost clock stability, high end gpu capability and performance that pretty much requires the better psus designs and voltage regulation.

The Only concern I have is over whether or not a group regulated psu can handle the low power Standby states, commonly referred to as Haswell ready. Not really a concern for those who never let the pc get to the C6 (ish) levels of sleep.

Sep 15, 2021
That psu hit the shelves in 2021, it's brand spankin new. It's not a DC/DC converter design, so suffers from normal group regulated foibles, like 252w on the 12v rails, the TGS (gold rated version) would be a better option as it Is DC/DC. But at 300w output, it's not like you are going to be worried about OC stability, extreme boost clock stability, high end gpu capability and performance that pretty much requires the better psus designs and voltage regulation.

The Only concern I have is over whether or not a group regulated psu can handle the low power Standby states, commonly referred to as Haswell ready. Not really a concern for those who never let the pc get to the C6 (ish) levels of sleep.

The system I am building is quite low powered and the graphics card I want to add later only draws 30w from the slot at most according pc partspick I'm looking at 175w power consumption so I do have 125w spare capacity as I say this computer is going to be general computer for office and Web searches some light to moderate gaming might mess on with a sdr radio dongle I'm not going to rendering video at 4k or playing cyberpunk77 at max so do you think it will be acceptable tbh very limited to the psu I can get ATM and I would like to keep the moboard as it ticks all my boxes upgrades won't happen for a while almost a cpu change with a cpu with similar power concuption and if I do feel like a major upgrade I would problem rip out the motherboard and psu to higher speck I might ask seagate msi about this.