[SOLVED] Are RGB Fusion ready fans compatible with RGB fusion 2.0 motherboards?

Solution
I agree with the post above, with one caution that applies to all such systems. As you're aware, there are two major types of lighting systems dominating the market now: the plain RGB system uses a 4-pin header and 12 VDC power, and the Addressable RGB (aka ADDR RGB, or ARGB, of Digital RGB) uses a 3-pin header (looks like 4 pins with one missing) and 5 VDC power. These two are INcompatible, so you MUST match the lighting units' type to the mobo header you have. Now, mobo makers sell various models that MAY include either or both types of hardware headers. But each supplies one software utility with their own proprietary name, like ASUS Aura Sync, MSI Mystic Light, Gigabyte RGB Fusion, etc. Each of these utilities can manage BOTH types...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
Reactions: AgentXs

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree with the post above, with one caution that applies to all such systems. As you're aware, there are two major types of lighting systems dominating the market now: the plain RGB system uses a 4-pin header and 12 VDC power, and the Addressable RGB (aka ADDR RGB, or ARGB, of Digital RGB) uses a 3-pin header (looks like 4 pins with one missing) and 5 VDC power. These two are INcompatible, so you MUST match the lighting units' type to the mobo header you have. Now, mobo makers sell various models that MAY include either or both types of hardware headers. But each supplies one software utility with their own proprietary name, like ASUS Aura Sync, MSI Mystic Light, Gigabyte RGB Fusion, etc. Each of these utilities can manage BOTH types of hardware header on their mobos, so the NAME of the software does NOT tell you which type of HARDWARE header is on your mobo. YOU must identify which type of header you have available on your mobo and buy the right TYPE of lighting accessory to match that.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm fairly certain that RGB Fusion fans are all compatible with RGB Fusion software, no matter the version. As noted above, do make sure you're using the correct RGB headers.

Now, it should be noted that RGB Fusion is fairly temperamental to deal with. For the first month or so, it didn't even recognize my Gigabyte 3080. It's also determined to make the LEDs on the RAM slots in my Gigabyte motherboard red even though I have them as teal in the software (so I turned those off). Other people have had better luck than I, though.

Feb 6, 2021
Thanks, guys I will update posts once I have brought one fan just to see if it works will update the post when I do. I have a gigabyte aorus extreme x399 motherboard and will be trying Akasa AK-FN102 Vegas TL Dual Sided RGB LED Cooling Fan 140mm they look like they will work the have the right connectors I think.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was going to suggest using other software if given choice. I had it on my pc but it was conflicting with Icue so I only had it on PC long enough to swap the MB lighting to a different color. Most gigabyte software seems buggy, I had the App updater running at start-up but it was randomly crashing so its now not auto.