[SOLVED] Are the Number of Cores/Threads and Core Clock the two only things that matter when talking about CPU?

Quang_2

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Are the Number of Cores/Threads and Core Clock the two only things that matter when talking about how strong a CPU?

If so, does it mean that i5 10400f is faster than i5 11400f? They have the same number of cores/threads but 10400f's clock speed is faster. That's impossible!

BUqbLWE.png

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: Quang_2 and Nemesia
Solution
You can use core count and clock speed if comparing the same family or generation of processor. You can't with different generations of processors. Though if you need a "close enough" WAG, there's usually a 15% clock-for-clock performance bump between generations, minus a few exceptions.

Reactions: Quang_2

Quang_2

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Ok, thank you guys for the answers. At first, I think it's because of PCI-E 4.0 technology but I don't think it's related.

The thing is I want to upgrade my PC in the next 2 months. And due to the low budget, I really expect this i5 11400f, hope that it's can handle every game at a low price so that I can focus on saving money on GPU instead.

When I see the core clock speed I'm quite disappointed. But I think I should wait a few more days for the benchmark.

Ok, thank you guys for the answers. At first, I think it's because of PCI-E 4.0 technology but I don't think it's related.

The thing is I want to upgrade my PC in the next 2 months. And due to the low budget, I really expect this i5 11400f, hope that it's can handle every game at a low price so that I can focus on saving money on GPU instead.

When I see the core clock speed I'm quite disappointed. But I think I should wait a few more days for the benchmark.
11400F should smash through every game without a single problem.