Question Are these components a good choice?

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
Intel Core i5-12600K

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16

MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 Mainboard ATX

Noctua NH-U12S Redux with NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 120mm

Be quiet straight power 11, 550 or 650 watt?

And should i worry about the cpu bending reports about the 12600k?

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
What are your goals and budget for the system?
I want that it is not running hot (best below 70 celsius), it should potentially utilize the cpu good so it lasts for long for games, with any grafic card that comes later. For now a 1660 super amp.
And 1080p will be the resolution, display port, 144hz.

The named components cost where i looked for them around 680 euros. With a case that will be around 780. I want to make a good choice for that amount of money.

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
How soon will you buy?

What video card, if any?

If budget not tight, you might consider DDR 5. The price differential from DDR 4 is narrowing noticeably and likely that will continue.
I use a i7 4790 ddr3 1600 atm, 1660 super amp zotac, and i am fine with that. But i want one for the future (like the 4790 is still good nearly 10 years later), and additionally so i can replace an old one which is weak, with that one and get me the 12600k. As that seems to be the right one for me.

I dont think i need ddr5, I dont remember when a computer felt weak because of its ram. So maybe i dont have an idea about if ddr 5 is the question.

When will you buy?

New stuff available in about 6 weeks....the 13600K.

Very little performance difference between DDR4 and DDR5 now, but that will change gradually.

A motherboard that takes DDR4 cannot later accept DDR5.

Are you sure you need 32 GB rather than 16GB? If you need 32, then the price differential for DDR5 might be too high and break your budget limit.

Reactions: an5io_oleka

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
When will you buy?

New stuff available in about 6 weeks....the 13600K.

Very little performance difference between DDR4 and DDR5 now, but that will change gradually.

A motherboard that takes DDR4 cannot later accept DDR5.

Are you sure you need 32 GB rather than 16GB? If you need 32, then the price differential for DDR5 might be too high and break your budget limit.
I did not know they come so soon. I think i wait then for 13k series as the bending should be "fixed" i guess.
Dont know if those need ddr5 then?
Will look at that. I dont need 32gb, with ddr 4 i would have paid 40 more than 16gb, and thought that bet was worth it in case games that run on that computer could need it, in the future i aimed for with that build.

I would look at a i5 12400F with B660 board.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2400f-processor-18m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

i5 12400 / 12400F gaming benchmarks.

i512400.jpg

I did not know they come so soon. I think i wait then for 13k series as the bending should be "fixed" i guess.
Dont know if those need ddr5 then?
Will look at that. I dont need 32gb, with ddr 4 i would have paid 40 more than 16gb, and thought that bet was worth it in case games that run on that computer could need it, in the future i aimed for with that build.

As far as I know, the next generation of motherboards (700 series...Z790, etc) will have the same RAM requirements as the current generation....both DDR4 and DDR5 will be supported, but NOT on the same board. You have to choose the DDR4 version or the DDR5 version of the motherboard.

Right now, 16 gb of DDR5 is about the same price as 32 gb of DDR4.

You should consider a B series motherboard if you have no overclocking intentions. That might save you 50 dollars.

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
You all gave good informations. Need to think about all that.
One question for now: How is that with new series and new boards, do they cost more at first? So to get to the same point as with the 12k and its boards, does that require to wait "a year"?

You all gave good informations. Need to think about all that.
One question for now: How is that with new series and new boards, do they cost more at first? So to get to the same point as with the 12k and its boards, does that require to wait "a year"?

That is mostly speculation.

On one hand......they might try to keep board and CPU prices high on the 13000 series to take advantage of the people who are aching to have the latest and don't care much about price. The early adopters.

On the other hand....there is a lot of talk about weak PC demand generally. It remains to be seen how sensitive to price buyers might be. If demand is relatively weak, maybe prices on 13th gen are only slightly higher.

Wild guess....maybe 10 or 15 percent premium for 13th generation board and CPU, compared to 12th generation when introduced? Black Friday sales will be coming up, so that might come into play. So maybe 900 rather than 800?

Supposedly.....you won't see 13th generation B series boards until early next year. Z790 in October of this year.

I think 12th generation motherboards will accept 13th generation processors.....probably with a BIOS update.

Speculation. Wait and see.

Old generations don't fall to half the price of current generation unless you will buy used.