Question Are these vertical grey stripes in IPS monitor actually an issue?

vikaskumar2299

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Hi. This is a complex issue so you may need to pay some extra attention (and see photos link in the end) to understand what I want to ask:

So I bought a Dell 1080p IPS monitor. It had some power cable issue so I ordered a replacement. Then I observed this issue in new monitor:

When I ran inbuilt color test, especially on grey background, I noticed at least 3 vertical grey stripes on monitor, near middle of screen. One was more significant than other two.

I thought maybe it is showing only in the test and it won't bother me in daily usage. But when I was working in Adobe Illustrator (which by default has similar grey background), I noticed same problem.

And I noticed them more when I scrolled pages horizontally on similar background colors in every app or web pages.

However, it is not so easy to observe it and capture in great detail in photos. Maybe I pay more attention to details, but it definitely bothered me.

So I have provided 4 photos in following Google drive folder. Two photos are natural, two are exaggerated using Photoshop and highlighted by yellow marking where most visible stripe is present:

When you'll compare natural and exaggerated respectively, it would be possible for you to see it even in natural photos. It is slightly more visible when viewed live. At least I can see it that is why it bothered me.

Here is the folder link: High Quality Images

So, is it really an issue? I didn't notice it when I received the earlier monitor which I had returned for replacement.

What's the monitor model?
Try another display cable.

Defects on monitors is not that uncommon and many defects are not even noticed by most people.
Clouding, backlight bleed, IPS glow, burn-in, etc.

Gray uniformity varies between units and could be cause by many factors.
It could be the quality of the unit, mishandling the panel, shipping or even extra pressure caused by misalignment when built.
Some of this issue are more noticeable on cheap LED units that are edge backlit instead of direct LED.

vikaskumar2299

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
What's the monitor model?
Try another display cable.

Defects on monitors is not that uncommon and many defects are not even noticed by most people.
Clouding, backlight bleed, IPS glow, burn-in, etc.

Gray uniformity varies between units and could be cause by many factors.
It could be the quality of the unit, mishandling the panel, shipping or even extra pressure caused by misalignment when built.
Some of this issue are more noticeable on cheap LED units that are edge backlit instead of direct LED.
I think you're right. May vary between different units of same model. It is Dell S2421HN.

I've returned it. Again. I'll order once more and if that too has this issue, I'll go with BenQ EW2480.

Also I'm sure Dell won't accept it as a fault in warranty. They will say they can't notice it. They diaogonize online only.