Are your wires hanging out????

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I droool every time I look at that pic. That 900 is nice. I like what he did with the SATA power connectors.

Bet it was dragonsprayer from Warped Systems.

DUMB QUESTION TO THE FORUM:

Is fishing data or power cables between a motherboard and it's mounts a bad thing? Can you do that? I seen several builds where it appears that the wires and put underneath the motherboard. Does that place your motherboard at risk for shorting out by doing that? Or is it safe?

What is the best way to hide wires?

As long as the board does not put any pressure on the board you will be fine, I run my usb header cables under the board....

Many people cut a hole in the mb tray just under the edge of the board and send the wire under the board and into the space behind the mb tray. then cut a hole near the top or bottom to send the cable back where it needs to plug in....

look up at the 900 link i posted and you can see some of this work in action(not mine)

Re: Nuke Master:

I never thought about drilling a hole behind the motherboard. What a great idea! But how do you prevent the wires from being cut by the hole? Do you have to file it down? Put a rubber edging on it? Use several layers of thick tape?

I think I am going to have to try that.

I think I am also going to remove my hard drive tray so it will not block the airflow of my front fan. Then I am going to lay down sound dampening foam all along the floor board of my case. Then get some purse locks to tie up the wires. Then also get some rubber fan grommets to further reduce the noise.

If I get that done this month I will update this link with some pictures. So don't unsubribe to this thread.

Thanks for the advice!

@nukemaster: Your sig is priceless!
haaahaahaaaap2.gif

^:lol: Vista :lol:

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but this is still kind of on the same subject of 'case cleanliness'.
Look at this product I just found on newegg:
starlet.jpg

This is pretty cool. You take these rubber inserts and stick them in your unused PCI or RAM slots to keep the dust out. I never even thought of that. I would say this is almost a MUST BUY for a new PC build. Unless you got fan filters.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899998201

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
There comes a point where it is nearly impossible to hide the wires. SATA helps with removing the old bulky IDE cables, but My case is huge, and its full. Water cooling and 5x hard drives furthest away from the power supply in the case. Auxillary power supply at the top of the case powering the 2 video cards at the bottom, fan wires everywhere....

The ultimate solution that most people don't take advantage of is the real estate behind the motherboard panel. pop off your side panel, and if necessary drill a couple of holes with a hole saw to get cables through to the other side and back again in the correct place. Turn your hard drives around so the cables dont stick into the middle of the case, but instead towards the front or other side which moves where those cables go entirely. arrange everything as close as possible to each other, or as far apart as possible. You will end up with small looms that follow the angles of the case, instead of across the middle. use electrical tape to tighten single stray wires to a loom, and Nylon zip ties everywhere else. harborfreight.com will sell you a tube of 1200 of them for under 10 bucks.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
oh, you'll want to stop by an auto parts store for some rubber vacuum hose, or buy some appropriate size grommets when drilling those holes. slicing some cheap hose down one side makes for an excellent and good looking way to line those sharp metal edges so your wires don't short out.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
To L1qu1d,
I just wanted to let you know that I think your zalman heatsink is facing the wrong way. It should face in the direction of airflow blowing at the back fan to blow the heat out of the case. You have the hot air blowing towards your graphic cards.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

The pictures below illustrate how your zalman should be facing (to L1qu!d). Also, the wire wrap that I used can be purchased from frozencpu.com and all you have to do is wrap it around the wires. No need to remove the molex connectors which makes it real easy. If intereseted, its called ez sleeve. I don't have the cleanest wire job, but it is effective. Dropped my case temps by a few degrees celsius after wrapping my wires. From what I've seen on here, some of you guys could notice a dramatic drop in temps if your case was cleaned up a bit. Whenever I get a dremmel and a modular power supply, I will be able to do more with my case. Just try and keep the wires out of the way the best you can for optimal air flow. As you can see, my wires are routed around the case fans except for the main power plug. FYI, my case is a full tower Enermax Chakra ( I added the two 120mm inside case fans myself). Mid towers are just to small for me. Expecially since I do not have a modular power supply. You can't see from the picture, but the rest of the cables are tucked above the power supply.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah I wanted to put it so that the air sucks from the bottom and goes up lol...so its not actually blowing on my graphics card its sucking air and then pushing it up.

yuseaname

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Got my Antec 900 which looks pretty spiffy. I got my inspiration from the xtremesystems site ( i thought i had posted mine there but i dont even have an account there lol). Drilling behind the mobo tray is an awesome idea, it worked for me. I also routed all of the power supply wires straight from the psu and behind the mobo wall, where i could access them by taking off the other case door. Line the sides with electrical tape as I have had no cut wires with it. A lot of people here have some really awesome caase by the way. Maybe I need to do something new lol (if I had the money.) When I get out of class Ill post a couple pics of my setup.

I opened up my case last night to see what I could do far as routing the cables behind the motherboard. Unfortunately for me it is not going to work out. The 24 pin main power cable for the motherboard off of my OCZ GameStream PSU is really thick. And there is not much room at all on the back side of my Cooler Master Centurion 534 case. I tried last night to get the cover back on the case with the power cable behind it and I could not do it without bending the cover. The cable is way to thick.

However I did see how I could route some smaller cables out to the way thanks to the ideas that have posted on this thread. This has been a great thread so far.

Hey, has anyone seen the Ultra X-Connect power supplies? I think they got the best thing going. These are modular power supplies and all of the cables lay flat, even the 24 pin main power connector. Take a look at the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page where they have all of the cables layed out.

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=97&pPath=632&productID=632

My wife has had one on her computer for going on 3.5 years now and it has worked great. These cables are very flexible and there is a lot you can do with them.

I think my next power supply will be an ultra. And I think my next case will be a NZXT Tempest.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I couldn't move my LR furniture to extract my HTPC so I could open it up and take a picture. But here's a close approximation:

spaghetti-bolognese.jpg

It's a whole different world working inside the LC-16M case:
■The ODD backs right up to the GPU, so no room to hide anything there.
■The stand-offs provide enough space to route the 4/8-pin under the MB, and the 24-pin if you flatten it, but the power-startup wire segment on the 24-pin has to be above, and hence is visible.
■The IDE connector for ODD has to go over the top of the GPU to get to the IDE port on the MB. SATA ODD won't fit with X1800XL in this case.
■The SATA connectors for CPU-side HDDs (vs. PSU/PCI-side) have to go behind the back of the GPU and inside the unused 5.25" bay. So do the SATA power connectors for same.
■The USB, Firewire and Audio connectors for the front panel have to run across the top of the MB between PCI cards.
■Case fans? GPU aux-power 6-pin? That's all just the parm cheese on top.

So it looks like complete spaghetti tri-colore in there. But hey - how else are you going to fit 6 HDDs in your LR with your wife's approval?

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
location of holes depends on where you want the cable to go. for sata cables you can go under the mobo, but for the atx cable you'll have to go to the side. cutting 1 hole for all would have to be to the side.

To get the atx cable to relax - cut all zip ties and wrapping on the cable then form the wires where you want to go. making a bend should be relatively rounded and neat, no perfect right angles. When its where you want it note where your slack is and where its tight, then wrap accordingly. A little electrical tape will keep things tidy, or any other type of cable wrap will do.

Draw it out and measure what length you have. Buy an extension if you want to be slick without modifying the actual cable.

http://store.pchcables.com/inpocayatxad.html has a good selection for what you need.

Corsair also uses those thin cables.
What board do you have?