Question Artifacts only at Windows startup ?

Feb 18, 2022
For the last 8 months, everytime i turn on my pc, I get these artifacts at startup that last 10-15 secs, then disappear. Happens everytime at startup. Never get any issues or artifacts while under high load gaming. Is this a sign that my gpu is dying? Im so scared. Could it also be due to my <Mod Edit> psu, possibly making my gpu go bad? Im just paranoid af from this prebuild. The artifacts are always at the bottom of screen. I tried out a hdmi cable and it still shows the same artifact like lines on bottom of my monitor. When I plug my monitor into my appletv, the monitor works with no lines or artifacts.

At startup - https://ibb.co/LNP52YH

After startup - https://ibb.co/bNhZG4m

I have a prebuilt rig from cyberpowerpc. The psu is bad quality. I plan on upgrading that soon. These prebuilds notoriously have poor ventilation. Ive ran it hot with temps at 80 for several gaming sessions. Since then, i started running it with the temper glass off for optimal air flow and now the temps max at 60 at max load.

Specs - i7-9700k

Asrock z390b

Aorus 2080

Psu - apevia 800w 80+ gold

Ddr4 2666

<Mod Edit> cpu water cooler

M.2 nvme SSD

I know my psu is a ticking time bomb. I plan on fixing it soon. But, is my gpu starting to show signs of failure? Thanks for your knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
For the last 8 months, everytime i turn on my pc, I get these artifacts at startup that last 10-15 secs, then disappear. Happens everytime at startup. Never get any issues or artifacts while under high load gaming. Is this a sign that my gpu is dying? Im so scared. Could it also be due to my <Mod Edit> psu, possibly making my gpu go bad? Im just paranoid af from this prebuild. The artifacts are always at the bottom of screen. I tried out a hdmi cable and it still shows the same artifact like lines on bottom of my monitor. When I plug my monitor into my appletv, the monitor works with no lines or artifacts.

I have a prebuilt rig from cyberpowerpc. The psu is bad quality. I plan on upgrading that soon. These prebuilds notoriously have poor ventilation. Ive ran it hot with temps at 80 for several gaming sessions. Since then, i started running it with the temper glass off for optimal air flow and now the temps max at 60 at max load.

Specs - I7 9700k

Azrock z390b

Aorus 2080

Ddr4 2666

M.2 nvme

I know my psu is a ticking time bomb. I plan on fixing it soon. But, is my gpu starting to show signs of failure? Thanks for your knowledge
If it can be done now trash the psu it is literally killing the system

Specs - I7 9700k

Azrock z390b

Aorus 2080

Ddr4 2666

M.2 nvme

It is more like a 500w psu the way they assembled it and I wouldn't be surprised if that's being nice

Feb 18, 2022
It is more like a 500w psu the way they assembled it and I wouldn't be surprised if that's being nice

Ok. I thought so. I bet this 750w psu is only able to put out like 500w as well. But, can you explain to me how a 500w psu would be killing the gpu? Im still a newbie. Bc when i play games, it runs fine without any crashes or hickups as long as i dont overclock. When i did try overclocking to play rdr2, the temps were like 75 but the game did crash to black screen and i had to restart the pc manually. I ended up not overclocking again after the gpu couldnt maintain those clocks in rdr2 (the overclock did run without crashes in other games and gpu speed tests. The crashes in rdr2 could have been the psu not able to put out enough wattage or unstable overclock. But the artifacts started before i started playing rdr2

Ok. I thought so. I bet this 750w psu is only able to put out like 500w as well. But, can you explain to me how a 500w psu would be killing the gpu? Im still a newbie. Bc when i play games, it runs fine without any crashes or hickups as long as i dont overclock. When i did try overclocking to play rdr2, the temps were like 75 but the game did crash to black screen and i had to restart the pc manually. I ended up not overclocking again after the gpu couldnt maintain those clocks in rdr2 (the overclock did run without crashes in other games and gpu speed tests. The crashes in rdr2 could have been the psu not able to put out enough wattage or unstable overclock. But the artifacts started before i started playing rdr2
The way they run the wire through the rails to the relays and capacitors forces the 500w unit to put out a 800w load the relays and capacitors are actually of some quality there for usually able to support the loads and will blow before and massive problems, the reason it will kill the system and is causing damage is the power being put out through the psu is unstable but just enough to stop the system crashing which causes power pulses through the whole system the more the power pulses through the PC the faster it will fry components. I'm not a electrician so I'm not great a technical terms but in a since. Unsteady current causes the volts to spike and drop spike and drop which like anything electronic it will short from over heat connections.

The reason for the no crashing is the moment the system is detecting the power loses due probably gain a since for it from power drops to much it is dropping your loads for a moment cause a fresh buffer letting it rebuild in proformance again,
Sorry for bad spelling

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you're worried enough to replace the PSU, then why is the GPU connected to it at all? Your PC is usable without a GPU, so it shouldn't be installed right now.

Artifacts tend to be drivers or failing VRAM. The drivers you can easily update, the latter there's nothing you can do about. So, only focus on the things you can control (the drivers) and safety (not using it with a PSU you're concerned about) since there's not much you can do if the GPU is failing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow
Feb 18, 2022
The reason for the no crashing is the moment the system is detecting the power loses due probably gain a since for it from power drops to much it is dropping your loads for a moment cause a fresh buffer letting it rebuild in proformance again,
Sorry for bad spelling
Jesus. Just after reading this, i tried to boot up my pc and i keep getting no signal but pc turns on and is working fine. Tried a bunch of stuff with displayport and hdmi cables and no luck. So what worked was putting the gpu in the 2nd slot. Then it gave me signal, although still with artifacts at startup for like 10 secs as usual. What was weird was with the gpu in 2nd slot of mobo, my rgb fans stopped lighting except for 1 but they were all spinning. I am now pretty close to calling it that the psu is causing this. Im gonna go get a new psu tomorrow. I wonder if this is also a sign that my mobo is going bad too?

Feb 18, 2022
Bought this prebuilt rig from someone who bought it from cyberpowerpc. I didn't see it when testing at his house right before purchase. Since day 1, everytime i turn on my pc, I get these artifacts at startup at bottom of screen that last 10-15 secs, then disappear. Happens everytime at startup. Never get any issues or artifacts while under high load gaming.

Fast forward to few days ago, I wasn't getting any display output from gpu (using displayport). So I got a new hdmi cable and it started working again, i got output, but still with the same artifacts. Next day, I wasn't getting display output again with the hdmi cable. I tried cleaning the dust inside thoroughly and reseating/ moving around my 2 ram sticks, which changed nothing, no display output. So I moved the gpu from the 1st pci slot of my mobo into the 2nd pci slot and I got display output again with hdmi cable, but now the artifact lasts about 30 secs at startup before going away.

The PSU is from apevia, so I replaced that with a new evga 700w bronze psu. Started it up and still getting display output, still with artifacts at startup only. So I got the idea to underclock my gpu using msi afterburner (I had played around with msi afterburner to oc the gpu in the past, which resulted in the gpu just going black screen and resetting my display driver a few times). I ran gpu-z to look at its current clock and memory, which were all same as the default gpu settings for the rtx 2080. I underclocked the clock and memory by 200, saved the settings as a profile, and set oc to apply at startup and for afterburner to run at startup. I turned off, then back on the pc and no more artifacts at startup. I began weaning down the underclocks on both and ensuring there was still no artifacts. I got to the default clock and memory speeds of 0 in msi afterburner and still no artifacts at startup. I'm thankful but I just do no fully understand why this could be the case or even the fix ?

When I got the pc, I installed a fresh install of Windows 10 and msi afterburner. It could be a possibility that the previous owner tried to oc the gpu, which would have epicly failed like when I tried due to poor case airflow and poor psu, i didnt ask him when i bought it but why wouldn't you oc a gigabyte aorus 2080 xtreme edition? But why would underclocking the gpu and returning to the same settings the gpu was running at when it was artifacting at startup fix such problem?

I still have a year of warranty left on my gpu from gigabyte. Is this gpu showing signs of failure with the fixed artifacts? Now that I fixed it, its stable and no more issues. I talked about rma-ing the gpu with gigabyte but they basically told me that if after I send it in for repair to them and the problem persists, requiring a second rma, I would need to show them the invoice. I didn't get a receipt/invoice for the pc from the previous owner. I need some advice on what I should do now. Is this gpu too unreliable to continue using? Would I be better off trying to send it in for the first rma attempt? Should I just sell it and cut my losses before this thing dies in a few days/months/year? What do you guys who are experienced with hardware recommend? Thank you

Screenshots:

Specs:
I7 9700k
Azrock z390b Phantom 4
Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme
PSU - was apevia 800w 80+ gold, now EVGA 700w 80 bronze
Ddr4 2666
120 mm cpu water cooler
M.2 NVMe SSD

Feb 18, 2022
The issue starts when Windows starts or at BIOS screen? What resolution/refresh rate you use in Windows?
Btw buying PC that still has warranty without receipt/invoice is major mistake. Avoid that next time.
2k 144hz. artifact shows at windows start for 15 secs like the screenshot shows. BIOS screen is fine

Feb 18, 2022
Try reducing refresh rate to 120 Hz (and maybe even lower). If that helps reduce the effect (or maybe even remove it all at lower frequencies) that would mean you have a problem with monitor/cable rather then GPU.
pc showing same artifacts on different monitor using different cable