Aspire 5 (A515-54-51DJ) Question

chancemitchell

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
I was looking for a laptop for university that was cheap between the 400-500 dollar range. I bought the Aspire 5 on Prime Day sale for like $450 after tax. With an 8th Gen i5, a 256 GB SSD and 8GB DDR4 I thought the value was solid for being a sleek classic laptop. The screen is a bit big for my liking at 15 plus and the fan placement a bit uncomfortable but overall all is well. I don't plan on being to intensive on this laptop as I have a Gaming PC that I plan on extensively upgrading with all these new CPU and GPU releases. I just bought it so I could have portable access to internet and Microsoft office. I bought a Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT16G4SFD824A to max the laptop out at it's 20 GB max. Keeping the value of my PC around $500. I only detail all this so anyone with similar interest can think about it.

So my question is... I have a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD sitting around and was wondering is this something that can be added in addition to my 256GB SSD, or is not even compatible with this laptop? I couldn't really tell looking at specs if it was compatible or would I have to swap it out with the original SSD? Again I don't really plan on laboring over this laptop, but I was just wondering if this SSD was compatible otherwise I wouldn't likely upgrade the SSD right away.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
The good thing is that this laptop has a non-removable memory of 4 GB, so all you had to do to max out it's memory was to just add a 16 GB stick.

However, it does not support SATA drives.
So, your 2.5 inch SSD is not compatible but you can upgrade up to 1 TB NVMe SSD if you want.

A lot of manufacturers does not mention what kind of SSD they use in laptops but with some research you can find that.

Last edited:
Reactions: chancemitchell

chancemitchell

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
The good thing is that this laptop has a non-removable memory of 4 GB, so all you had to do to max out it's storage was to just add a 16 GB stick.

However, it does not support SATA drives.
So, your 2.5 inch SSD is not compatible but you can upgrade up to 1 TB NVMe SSD if you want.

A lot of manufacturers does not mention what kind of SSD they use in laptops but with some research you can find that.
Yea the easy upgrade was part of why I bought it. I was told the above linked stick was compatible and as far as I could research it is and I heard good things about crucial.