[SOLVED] ASRock A320M HDV no post & no beep

Sep 26, 2020
hi,

I have an ASRock A320M HDV R4.0 motherboard with a Ryzen 3 3100 and an ASRock Challenger RX 5500 XT 8 GB.

i've connected all the font cables correctly but the pc is not booting up (not even to the bios) and the speaker doesn't beep. even when I remove my two RAMs it does not do the usual 3-beep.

i've tried booting with and without the front panel connectors as well to discard any possibility of connecting them wrong - even with just the atx cables, cpu fan and gpu connected, it does not post nor beeps.

any hint of what may be happening?

full specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, 4/8 Zen 2 3.9GHz
  • GPU: Asrock Challenger OC RX 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6
  • Mobo: Asrock A320M-HDV R4.0 mATX
  • PSU: Redragon RGPS 500W
  • SSD: Hikvision E100N 128GB M.2 2280
  • RAM: 2x XPG Gammix D30 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL16

Solution
thanks for the reply!

isn't the A320M-HDV R4.0 already updated for the 3100? it has a "Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready" sticker on the box
Apologies, R4 should be BIOS version P3.70. But for the record, it is not compatible out of the box, the BIOS does have to be updated.

Whilst usually the Ryzen 3000 ready usually means it is already updated, I've seen a few situations where it turns out it is not, and it was either not correctly updated, or it simply meant "it was compatible IF the BIOS is updated".

It is worth checking...

After that, I would go through every single step in this guide, even if you have already done them, as it never hurts to double check steps...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

Firstly, have you got latest BIOS installed on the motherboard? The A320M HDV is not out of the box compatible with the 3100 unless it has at least BIOS P6.10 installed.

even when I remove my two RAMs it does not do the usual 3-beep.
This won't make a difference as the PC will never boot without RAM in, the error is likely to change if it can't detect RAM.

Sep 26, 2020
Welcome to the forums!

Firstly, have you got latest BIOS installed on the motherboard? The A320M HDV is not out of the box compatible with the 3100 unless it has at least BIOS P6.10 installed.

This won't make a difference as the PC will never boot without RAM in, the error is likely to change if it can't detect RAM.

thanks for the reply!

isn't the A320M-HDV R4.0 already updated for the 3100? it has a "Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready" sticker on the box

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
thanks for the reply!

Apologies, R4 should be BIOS version P3.70. But for the record, it is not compatible out of the box, the BIOS does have to be updated.

Whilst usually the Ryzen 3000 ready usually means it is already updated, I've seen a few situations where it turns out it is not, and it was either not correctly updated, or it simply meant "it was compatible IF the BIOS is updated".

It is worth checking...

After that, I would go through every single step in this guide, even if you have already done them, as it never hurts to double check steps.

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
many thanks for the help! it was in fact the bios - just updated it and got it working
Perfect, thanks for letting us know and I'm glad you've got it sorted.

I see the "Ryzen 3000 Ready" all to often that turns out not to work, not sure if the problem is resellers or Manufacturers...

Once your happy, please select a best answer (explained in my signature below) so others visiting the forum can see the thread as solved - with the answer.