[SOLVED] Asrock B450m Pro4 M2_2 Slot Compatibility

Nov 6, 2020
I built my system a month or so ago with the following specs:
CPU - Ryzen 3600x
MB - Asrock B450M Pro4
GPU - Zotac 1660 Super
RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200

Very recently, I purchased two Patriot Viper VPN100 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe 1.3 SSD drives for my PC. One being a 256 GB and the other being a 1 TB. I installed the 256 GB into the Ultra M.2 slot on the board (M2_1) to replace my HDD boot drive. No problems there. After reinstalling Windows to that device, I installed the 1TB M.2 into the second slot (M2_2). After rebooting my PC, the 1TB M.2 is not showing up anywhere on my PC. I have checked Device Manager as well as Disk Management and BIOS, and it is not listed in either place. Additionally, I am aware that while using the M2_2 slot, I can not have anything installed into the SATA3_3 slot, so I have ruled that out. In addition, I did try putting the boot drive into the M2_2 Slot to see if anything would come up then, but still nothing.

I did already contact the Asrock Customer Service for the U.S. but the guy just wants me to send it in for RMA right away. Tried asking for some possible fixes or suggestions, as well if it is just a compatibility issue (maybe the Ultra slot is only compatible with NVMe?), but he just gives me the run-around and redirects me to RMA again. I really don't want to deal with RMA, as I've heard mixed things about their timeliness, and I use my PC everyday for my classes, so I really don't want to have to go through the RMA process unless I have absolutely no choice.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Here is the link to the exact drives I purchased for reference: Patriot Viper

Solution
Hi Logan_Johson.

I like how Asus doesn't even take the time of checking what you have to give you a proper answer instead of just saying "RMA".

From your motherboard website info page.

"1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module"

The M2_2 only support SATA NVMe. You cannot install a PCIe NVME SSD in that port.
Hi Logan_Johson.

I like how Asus doesn't even take the time of checking what you have to give you a proper answer instead of just saying "RMA".

From your motherboard website info page.

"1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module"

The M2_2 only support SATA NVMe. You cannot install a PCIe NVME SSD in that port.

Reactions: Logan_Johnson
Solution
Nov 6, 2020
Nemesia,

Thank you for your very quick reply, and to the point answer. Unlike what I got with customer service.
The thing is, the guy did ask me exactly what I was putting into the M2_2 slot, and I gave him the same details, and link, as in this post. I basically just copied and pasted it from there to here. He straight up told me that there were no compatibility issues with putting the PCIe NVMe in the M2_2 slot. Then was immediately referred to RMA without answering any other questions.

I did see that detail in the MB booklet, and on the website, which was what initially made me think it may be a compatibility issue. First time getting into NVMe drives, so I wasn't completely sure if it would make a difference. I'm glad I came to this forum instead of just going with the RMA. Would've been wasted time just to have the same problem all over again. Thank you so much for the help and the clarification!

Nemesia,

Thank you for your very quick reply, and to the point answer. Unlike what I got with customer service.
The thing is, the guy did ask me exactly what I was putting into the M2_2 slot, and I gave him the same details, and link, as in this post. I basically just copied and pasted it from there to here. He straight up told me that there were no compatibility issues with putting the PCIe NVMe in the M2_2 slot. Then was immediately referred to RMA without answering any other questions.

I did see that detail in the MB booklet, and on the website, which was what initially made me think it may be a compatibility issue. First time getting into NVMe drives, so I wasn't completely sure if it would make a difference. I'm glad I came to this forum instead of just going with the RMA. Would've been wasted time just to have the same problem all over again. Thank you so much for the help and the clarification!

It was my pleasure Logan. Always happy to help.