Asrock b450m pro4 with G.skill Aegis 3000 mhz 16 gb (2x8) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2018
Trying to build a new pc here with an Ryzen 5 2600 and an asrock b450m pro4.Heard that Ryzen can take good advantage of high mhz so i went and pick 2x8 g.skill Aegis at 3000 mhz.Im still waiting for my psu to arrive though but i went on g.skill compatibility list about my mobo and i didnt find my own rams.There were 2400 and 3200 but not 3000...There were praxis and trident z but not Aegis. I didnt imagine there will be a compatibility issue since i went and a bought a well-known brand ,around my budget, with good reviews which i later found that they were mostly for b350 mobos and ryzen 1st gen cpus...
So will i have issues like random bsod , crashes or not even recognize them which will result in not even booting?
I will probably never overclock them but if i do , just because they are not on the compatibility list , will i have major issues ? Will Asrock's support or whatever support ever decline to help me just because i use a ram that is not on compatibility list just like in my case?

Solution
Just because one kit is on there, doesn't mean the others should be too.

Even within the same product 'stack' (in this case RipjawsV), the actual chips used on the modules can/will vary, as can timings etc.
So the 3200MHz kit could be tightly tuned Samsung chips, vs 3000MHz using pretty loose Hynix or Micron

2nd Gen Ryzen (and 1st Gen with appropriate BIOS updates) alleviated a lot of the early issues with RAM compatibility and you';ll probably be fine.... but there's just no guarantee.

As for the issues that might come up.... With RAM, IF you had issues, they can be tough to diagnose.
BSODs, Memory Errors, random crashing/hangs/delays etc.. Could be stable in a lot of circumstances, and you'll fire up and application or game...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unfortunately, unless the kit specifically appears on the QVL, it can be a total crapshoot.

Chances are good it'll just "work", but there's no guarantee.

The motherboard vendor will likely decline to assist with stability issues with that RAM, but that doesn't really matter.
If it "works", great. If it doesn't, you'd probably be better returning/replacing the RAM, opposed to the board.

Dec 24, 2018

The thing is that im looking for the G.Skill RipjawsV at 3200 mhz and they are not on QVL aswell...there are only some overpriced with either rgb or low mhz that they are either hard to find or low mhz towards their price. What are the issues that may come up?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Just because one kit is on there, doesn't mean the others should be too.

Even within the same product 'stack' (in this case RipjawsV), the actual chips used on the modules can/will vary, as can timings etc.
So the 3200MHz kit could be tightly tuned Samsung chips, vs 3000MHz using pretty loose Hynix or Micron

2nd Gen Ryzen (and 1st Gen with appropriate BIOS updates) alleviated a lot of the early issues with RAM compatibility and you';ll probably be fine.... but there's just no guarantee.

As for the issues that might come up.... With RAM, IF you had issues, they can be tough to diagnose.
BSODs, Memory Errors, random crashing/hangs/delays etc.. Could be stable in a lot of circumstances, and you'll fire up and application or game etc, and find your BSOD regularly.

The safest bet is to buy a kit that appears on the QVL (for it's rated speed too! Some 3200MHz kits are only verified at 2933MHz, for example) BUT, as I mentioned, compatibility is improved & you'd probably be ok.

Solution
Dec 24, 2018

I see ,thank you. I used to have some issues in ddr3 in my current fx build but i heard ddr3 was a bit..."problematic" and i just didnt thought it needs so indeep search for a ram set....I will see what can i do , the budget goes a lot higher just by looking at qvl

Your other option is to go to the ram manufacturer's website, and using their memory search tool, try to find a kit that will work with your motherboard. Just because it isn't on the QVL doesn't mean that it wont work, just that the motherboard manufacturer hasn't tested that particular kit of ram (they can't test every possible combination!). As long as the ram is on either the motherboard's QVL or the ram manufacturer has successfully tested their ram in that motherboard, you should be good to go.

Dec 24, 2018

i did that aswell , they only included some overpiced sticks . There was a guy who used the same and said he had no issues , there are other guys that said that they used the sticks that were on QVL and had issues . I don't know who to believe at this point . Never the less , if it has issues on XMP profiles then i will just never use them . Im just worried about issues that may come up on base clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.