Assassin's Creed II for PC Locked Down by DRM

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Is there any way we won't see AC2 on a 4GB rapidshare link? No. The more they lock it, the more people want to break it. My last purchase was MW2. I loved the game, hated the Steam locking. Some *days* after the official release I've found several warez sites having the game. I don't blame them - really.

Bottom line, companies that prefer to lock online their games, really suck. They piss their real customers and they achieve nothing on reducing piracy. If someone wants to buy, he will buy. If someone wants to steal, he *will* steal.

I say, let's piss more people!!
Let's have a copy of Windows that requires 24h internet connection. Let's REALLY push people to alternatives!

Read the post I was referring to numpty.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Even though 5 pages of people already said it, wow this DRM is retarded and if GTA5 had it (my most beloved series) I wouldn't get it, not much worse than going on a mission spree then the net will reset and bam, hours gone from DRM :)
And no I wouldn't even pirate it either, because what alot of you don't understand is how stupidly these companies think, since they will continuously enforce more and more strict DRM, always blaming piracy because of reasons that would create an oxymoron if the words "has common sense" were in the same sentence.

Come to think of it, the DRM in GTA4 has pissed me off on several occasions, had to make windows live profile, rockstar games profile, forced windows live updates, all that took 2 hours including instalation time by the way.... HIDDEN save files stored in a HIDDEN folder that I only figured out about after already losing my god damn saves twice from formats. They seem to store your saves online since you can't access them if your net is down and you open the game up if you always play in online mode, but then you format and facepalm, no online stored game saves, just a slap in the face :)

All in all, screw DRM, and please oh God please don't let The Witcher 2 have DRM!!

zdzisio

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I just cancelled my preorder. They said they want to make series of games based on AC. Not for me, anymore. Good night, and good luck!

ezz777

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Ubi call centre: "so... your game crashed and your lost all your unsaved progress... yes it's our new feature"

I hope the game retailers have a code for 'returned due to crappy DRM'.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]stravis[/nom]I might be upset if I was interested in playing this game - however all my hardware would go to waste on this nonsense.Am I just old? I haven't found a really good games lately...I find myself much more interested in pounding away code on the keyboard....[/citation]
Nope Im only 21 and I agree there isn't all that manny great games comming these days

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]DokkRokken[/nom]I know piracy's a problem, but this just hassles us honest customers who fork over our hard-earned cash. I was looking forward to this game, but now, no dice.[/citation]
Sad part is, this won't stop piracy, pirates will crack it and remove the DRM, the people who won't buy the legit version because of the DRM will download the cracked version and they will lose more money cause of it. The only ones this will be hard on is the people who actually buy it legally.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Ubisoft just can't take the reality that people will not buy into DRM. I guess they haven't learned from the starforce 3 incident. Let the sales reveal to them that this is a mistake.

Jaseball

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I loved my original XBox and some Ubi games of that genre such as Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, etc., were great and offered some great gaming memories.

Now consoles are the real killers of PC games. Harder to pirate, subscription fees for connect to 'online services,' downloadable content you have to pay for, ability to ban detected hacked accounts/games, and other 'features,' have made it over to the PC side.

Even worse, the game designers are just porting over console products and eliminating many of the aspects that made PC gaming great - mods, player created maps, dedicated servers, etc.

Modern Warfare 2 is a prime example. Tons of people said they would not buy that game in PC format. The 9v9 maximum, lack of dedicated servers, and port over to PC were deal breakers, but this game on PC is still going strong and obviously plenty of people gave their money over to the developer.

Bought and played Assassin's Creed. Nice looking game, but I found it to be pretty boring and repetitive as well as not much of a challenge. Running around collecting flags, killing random NPC's with a few specific moves, and the game got old fast.

So, AC2 was never on my buy list, but like others have said this online DRM is really abusive and restrictive. The entire point of 'single player game,' is so you can play solo - on a laptop, in a hotel room, on an airplane, vacation, etc.

I can't imagine having to be connected to a server for a single player game. It isn't like a MMO game where your records, characters, etc., are actually being stored somewhere.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
The more complicated they try and make these DRM things, the more people try and crack them. It's what hackers do, period. If anything they should have just ran it through steam, then they wouldn't have to worry about all of this (as much).

Transsive

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
It's on Steam for preorder now.

"A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT."

Sad.

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
If you make it they will hack it!! As long as they are schools that teach computer programing there will be some 18 to 24 year old kid to creat a hack for it! Thats what they teach you to do its called debugging they learn to take what ever they want from the program rewrite it and still make it work. They will never have it fullproof! I hate to say it but, us PC guys are eventually gonna have to get a console to play games hackers are ruining the world. If they would just offer pc games for like $20-$30 a copy they would probably sell alot more then they think. I haven't wanted to buy a game at $49.99 yet I can wait till the price drops they always do!!!

Jaseball

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Problem is the new console games are $69-79+ and the most highly played time period for a new release is about 2-5 months. Short attention spans. Lowering the price won't happen, but it does nothing. Anyone willing to use warez is getting their stuff for free, so that still beats $30-40.

irgamer

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
so THAT'S why I saw it in a store for $5 even though it was brand new.. i'm happy I bought a 2 litre fanta instead of that!

irgamer

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
this sucks, literally. Internet needed to play a singleplayer game? that's just downright pathetic. Make single player games like they used to be played: WITHOUT THE NEED OF INTERNET

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I hate to say it but, us PC guys are eventually gonna have to get a console to play games

For new games only we can keep playing the old ones of course hey maybe they will quit making new hardware eventually too. Once you cant make the old games look any better or run any better then you kinda stop it. Talk about making the economy take a turn put the hardware companies out of buisness (ATI/NVIDIA/AMD/INTEL) then you wont need software (no new games).DRM is eventually gonna ruin the world!

G

i forsee maddenning lawsuits arising from this. i bought need for speed pro street when it first came out, and i had an internet connection. i later moved, and did not have an internet connection, my computer crashed, and when i went to reinstall nfs pro street, i could no longer play the game i payed for, because i did not have internet. i contacted @#! star about my problem, and since there was no resolution, i have since refused to buy ANY game that does this crap to me. if i buy a game, then it damn well better be available to me whenever the hell i want to play it.
then to say nothing of grand theft auto 4. yee gods! i swear, if these companies keep making me suffer for their bottom line, then i will just find another hobby to throw my spare money at...like tennis?
are you reading this you stupid corporate bastards? you screw me over for your bottom line, and watch your bottom line fall out from under you as the rest of us get sick of paying for things we cant use when our circumstances change. if we dont buy your product, then you dont have a bottom line!

Sniperdoc

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Funny... they said:
"our goal is to deliver the best gaming experience to our customers, anywhere, anytime.""

Apparently not? How can we play the game anywhere anytime? Don't we need an internet connection. This is about the biggest marketing blunder ever. Talk about a loss of customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.