Question Assembled PC keeps crashing randomly (lossing graphics output)

Jul 3, 2022
So as the title says, I'll go directly to the root of what happens as I'm tired of posting this all over the internet without any solution (yet since 6 months).

I've this computer 2-3 years since first assembled (ofc swapping the GPU + PSU, I had the first Titan X with it until the RTX 3090 got released and I was lucky to get one).

The problem is the GPU or software at some random moment it just dies (black screen telling that there is no HDMI/DP output), this problem can happen in the middle of a game, or just in idle (while the PC is doing literally nothing, at least by my user).

From my part, the troubleshooting I did so far: Full reassembly of the hardware, BIOS reset from UEFI menu, Windows 10 fresh install (since the one I had have a lot of changes, sw and hw related).

The last change/addon I did was the Wifi card connected to a mini PCI slot of my mobo, before it was GPU + PSU (RTX 3090 + Corsair AX1600i).

• CPU: Intel i9-10900 with a Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
  • RAM: 64GB G.Skill Royal F4 3200MHz
  • GPU: Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC 24GB (stock cooling from now...)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i 1600W Platinum
  • Mobo: Asus Prime Z490-A
  • Case: NZXT H710 Black & White (customised by me)
  • Wifi module: Asus PCE-AX58BT

Hey there,

How old is the Corsair AX? Some, even really good PSU's, have difficulty with RTX higher end cards as a result of transient power spikes, where the change in load and power requirement on the PSU is to much and trips over protections. Somehow I don't see that with the AX1200, but it's possible.

You could also try a bios update to see if that helps.

When it crashes, does it restart? Or do you have to power cycle, or unplug from wall.

Jul 3, 2022
Hey there,

How old is the Corsair AX? Some, even really good PSU's, have difficulty with RTX higher end cards as a result of transient power spikes, where the change in load and power requirement on the PSU is to much and trips over protections. Somehow I don't see that with the AX1200, but it's possible.

You could also try a bios update to see if that helps.

When it crashes, does it restart? Or do you have to power cycle, or unplug from wall.

Hi,

Well the PSU I just bought it after a month of buying the RTX or something like that... I just thought that was the problem with my old one which I refurbished, it was an Asus ROG 850W which is more than enough power for the RTX itself but.. we know... the i9 10900 was getting ~120W out of nowhere, Intel being Intel with their TDPs... anyway it solved my problem swapping that Asus one (which I discovered they're manufactured by Seasonic in their majority, and Seasonic had a lot of problems with the later RTX.

I'm now trying to remove the wifi card from a PCI right below, no problems even tho today it was a doomed day for this crashes (I've been having them all day long everytime I try to play something or run any GPU benchmark)

Jul 3, 2022
Ok... so today was the day that the PC just died, suddenly, no way I can turn it on.

Apparently it was a problem of the PCIe slot, now it doesn't work anymore unless I connect to the one below, problem tho is that my RTX 3090 doesn't fit there :/