[SOLVED] ASUS BIOS settings not saving, even with a different CMOS battery?

Phantom300

Honorable
Jun 28, 2015
Hi! I've been having problems with my current machine for quite a while now, got it from a relative back in November. The BIOS settings keep getting cleared everytime I cut power from it (unplug it from an outlet). I've replaced the CMOS but to no avail. I've also flashed the BIOS to the latest version but it doesn't seem to fix anything.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 @ 3.30Ghz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 510
RAM: 1x Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GB 2133Mhz, 1x Kingston HyperX Fury Beast 16GB 2666Mhz
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Prime H270 Plus

I have not tried rolling back to a previous BIOS version yet, but I've had this problem even before flashing my BIOS and replacing my then-PSU.

Solution
if you tried a few batteries its likely the motherboard to blame. The mining might have damaged it in some way. But as it only happens when you unplug PC, its not a massive problem, just a nuisance.

I don't think there is anything we can do to fix it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its possible its still the battery, did you only replace it once?

Otherwise I have to guess its a physical problem on the board that is making BIOS forget settings every start. I don't think there is a fix besides leave PC plugged in

Are they being cleared or over ridden? Could it be AI suite changing the settings after boot? though it can't clear settings in bios, it can just alter them while windows is running.

Reactions: Phantom300

Phantom300

Honorable
Jun 28, 2015
Its possible its still the battery, did you only replace it once?

Otherwise I have to guess its a physical problem on the board that is making BIOS forget settings every start. I don't think there is a fix besides leave PC plugged in

Are they being cleared or over ridden? Could it be AI suite changing the settings after boot? though it can't clear settings in bios, it can just alter them while windows is running.
Yeah, I've tried changing the CMOS battery only once. I can get another CMOS battery replacement if that helps.

I think the BIOS settings get cleared everytime power gets cut, as I always change this LED Lighting setting (image for reference: https://forum.getpimp.org/assets/up...-setup-for-pimp-z270-and-others-9-resized.jpg) to disabled. Once I power on the PC after unplugging it from a nearby outlet, the LED Lighting setting always reverts to Breathing Mode. The clock and calendar also gets reset, so I have to reset all these settings before I go into Windows.

Another bit of info if it helps, my motherboard, CPU and RAM (the 4GB HyperX Black stick) was once used for bitcoin mining. I don't know if it's what's causing my problem, but any info helps, I guess.

I only unplug my PC when I go for long trips away from home, or cleaning/replacing parts. I usually put the machine into sleep mode before I head to bed, and luckily it turns out fine for almost 6 months running.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, I've tried changing the CMOS battery only once. I can get another CMOS battery replacement if that helps.
worth a try with another battery

Another bit of info if it helps, my motherboard, CPU and RAM (the 4GB HyperX Black stick) was once used for bitcoin mining. I don't know if it's what's causing my problem, but any info helps, I guess.
it wouldn't have helped

I only unplug my PC when I go for long trips away from home, or cleaning/replacing parts. I usually put the machine into sleep mode before I head to bed, and luckily it turns out fine for almost 6 months running.
so problem only really happens every 6 months. Thats not that bad really.

Phantom300

Honorable
Jun 28, 2015
so problem only really happens every 6 months. Thats not that bad really.
LOL I meant that putting my PC into sleep mode every night for about 6 months now works out to circumvent my current problem. If I shutdown my PC, the BIOS settings are still kept but whenever power is cut off all the BIOS settings are lost.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you tried a few batteries its likely the motherboard to blame. The mining might have damaged it in some way. But as it only happens when you unplug PC, its not a massive problem, just a nuisance.

I don't think there is anything we can do to fix it.

Solution