May 1, 2020
Greetings forums!

Recently my friend purchased an ASUS FX505DV-NH74 laptop (RTX 2060, Ryzen 7 3750H, 16GB DDR4) for gaming purposes. During one of our play sessions, we noticed that framerates in games that should run at above 60 (Minecraft with Shaders, Overwatch, Apex: Legends, all at 1080p.) are running sub 40 and even 15 frames per second. This is obviously quite below what an RTX 2060's capable of, considering my desktop-grade 1070 can get 70+ in 1440p resolutions. The laptop is plugged in during these gaming sessions, so it should be prioritizing the dedicated graphics card.

For troubleshooting steps, we first updated the NVIDIA drivers, then went into the NVIDIA control panel and set the Global Settings to use the high-performance NVIDIA processor. Both proved to be of no effect, so then we tried to remove the Radeon integrated GPU drivers, which made some games unable to run or run even worse. After reinstalling a fresh copy of the Adrenalin drivers, we booted up MSI Afterburner to see what's ticking.

In Apex: Legends at the training range, 1080p and low settings, we see that both the APU (GPU1) and RTX 2060 (GPU2) are at around 50%/60%. Minecraft (1.14.4, Optifine and SEUS shaders) was showing the same thing (and note, the F3 menu was reporting that the RTX 2060 was the primary GPU)

As someone who's worked on a wide range of gaming desktops and laptops (albeit, Intel/NVIDIA based ones, the last AMD "GPU" laptop I used was a T41p with an ATI Mobility chip!), I'm quite lost on what's causing all of this. Any help would be appreciated!

View: https://imgur.com/a/DYVYgEv

Solution
Try to always use DDU (display driver uninstaller) in safe mode when you switch between testing drivers. First place to go is asus site.

You cant really compare laptop and desktop GPU:s, laptop gpu/cpu:s thermal and power throttle heavily, probably is the issue even here. One thing to test is download aida64 trial and go to system stability test, then select stress test CPU and GPU:s , start then test and enjoy the "thermal throttle warnings".

With intel mobile cpu:s first thing to do is undervolt but i have no idea what to use with amd cpu. Laptop bios is usually tightly locked, you can try to check if Ryzen Master has any options for this cpu.

If the issue is overheating then solutions are (if amd wont allow undervolt by any...
Try to always use DDU (display driver uninstaller) in safe mode when you switch between testing drivers. First place to go is asus site.

You cant really compare laptop and desktop GPU:s, laptop gpu/cpu:s thermal and power throttle heavily, probably is the issue even here. One thing to test is download aida64 trial and go to system stability test, then select stress test CPU and GPU:s , start then test and enjoy the "thermal throttle warnings".

With intel mobile cpu:s first thing to do is undervolt but i have no idea what to use with amd cpu. Laptop bios is usually tightly locked, you can try to check if Ryzen Master has any options for this cpu.

If the issue is overheating then solutions are (if amd wont allow undervolt by any software)
Dont remove warranty:
  • laptop cooling pad , i suggest kootek cooling pad 5 fan model
  • use 100% fan
Removes warranty:
  • disassembly and replace thermal paste with thermal grizzly kryonaut, and you can also add thermal pads if needed to uncooled chips
  • modify case with better airflow

Solution