Asus P5W DH Deluxe my computer won't boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
They are more than likely going to tell you the board is fine. I'm pretty sure you blew out the power supply. aBg_rOnGaK is correct here, borrow a friend's PSU, or purchase a new one and hang onto the packaging incase you wanna return it later.

Well guys, this guy was right ;) The technician tested the board, it booted fine and post screen came up. He agreed to update the bios for me (eventhough the bios on the card successfully allowed me to install winxp etc and run for a week, so guess thats not gonna fix anything).

Also got a multimeter to check the PSU, all connections show right voltage. Can't really see "to little power" being the problem, cause I used the computer for over a week until i halted.

So now I'm down to the RAM or the CPU itself, gonna take these to the technician tomorrow, and check if any of them prevents the computer from POSTING.

Don't see the VGA card as the problem either, from the sound of the HDD it didn't load anything (like the OS), and really can't blame my VGA card for that ;)

any other good tips? appriciating the feedback :D

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Did you try your components in the motherboard after the BIOS update?
Other people have been able to run part time also, but needed the update to run properly.
Some people had to reboot multiple times before the OS would load, and there are few other scenarios also.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Other people have been able to run part time also, but needed the update to run properly.
Some people had to reboot multiple times before the OS would load, and there are few other scenarios also.

Well, took the memory modules with me when I went to pick up my motherboard from the technician, he put them on just to test, worked perfectly.

So now I know the memory modules are fine, motherboards is fine, PSU is fine.

Will assemble my computer when I get back from the university today, hopefully you are right, and the BIOS upgrade will fix it all!

crossing fingers!

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

Well, problems solved. Writing this message on my computer, guess a BIOS upgrade was all it needed, eventhough I find it a bit strange. Thought support for hardware was a ALL OR NOTHING situation, but guess a computer can get cranky after a little while ;)

Everybody, thx for your participation in this problem solving, but wont declare my PC healthy until I have had it on for another day or so withouth probs ;)

ghostmann

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I had the same problem with mine. You need to update your bios to the newer one on Asus website dated 08/28/06. This will allow to go into windows. Once your in install the intel processor update on the p5wd deluxe disk this should take care of the problem. It took me 12 hours to figure this out. It also could be possible that its the video card. That motherboard supports ATI crossfire not Nvidia.

My Specs

Antec neo 550watts
p5wd deluxe
e6600
crucial ballastix ram 2X1gb ddr800
ATI x9100xtx
Raid 0 2@74g raptor

3D mark 05
game test 11971
CPU test 9414

nacho_man

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
hi guys been reading this thread with interest as my pc has developed the same kind of issue....

was working fine for weeks and all of a sudden the pc will switch on with fans on full but no post...
what i notice is that the power and reset lights on the pc stay on all the time and the x1900xt card has 2 leds on it these both stay on all the time , no post beeps no nothing...
i have taken the graphic card and used it in another pc however re installing the card in the asus it will return to the same .. both leds on...

the only way i have been able to get the pc to boot again is to compleatly strip and rebuild it ... however i cant be doing this ever week to 2 weeks will drive me nuts.. any ideas?
i have tried a new psu and still get the same issue

oh yeh and another point ... for some reason removing or pluging in a usb device can cause the pc to boot when off...

p5w dh deluxe (latest bios)
6600 core2due
x1900xt
2x hitachi 250 raid

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Food for thought.
I believe your video card has a BIOS that can be updated to xtx.

Re-flash the MOBO to newest BIOS. There are new BIOS viruses out there.

If those didn’t work, I would also try a different video card in the ASUS board to try deducing the problem.
64MB cards are cost about $25.- to $30.-

As to the USB boot when unplugging.
I would look in the BIOS, and check for something like “wake up upon USB signal”.
You can have the computer turn on by various methods set in the BIOS.

nacho_man

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
the board already has the latest bios ... and the card works fine in my amd system as soon as the card goes back in the asus the system just wont boot no beeps and fans on full.. just stripped and rebuilt and this time its stayed the same just fans on full....

even tried diff cpu and psu...

oh well time to send it back

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

nacho_man

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
yip rebuilt in and out of case .. last 2 times out of case the pc would boot fine .. this time still stuck with fans on full... the 1900xt still has 2 leds lit... as soon as i move to the amd system the card boots without a hitch so i can rule out graphics error ... upgraded hard drives so can rule out them .. have a celeron d for testing .. so can rule out cpu and have tried 3 different psu`s
used 1 stick of ram for testing and tried each different slot...

error is no bios beeps, fans on full, power and led lights on, graphics card leds on, motherboard led is green , no pic on screen...

even removing power for graphics card you dont get to see the warning message
hmmmm

only thing that bugs me is you can bet that as soon as i sent back for testing it will work fine for them.

will call them on monday and see what they say.. may be i should contact asus directly

nacho_man

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
ok rebiult again today .. and its back up and running .. not done anything different ... question is how long will it last this time !!!!

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Memory Note
Check your qualified memory vendor’s list.

Also check the motherboard memory configuration in your manual.
Sometimes you have to determine if you have single sided (SS) or double-sided (DS) to properly configure the memory. You can try switching the memory from Dual mode to single channel slots. To check for a dual channel problem.

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I was just writing this when you posted the new comment.

I would guess that you tried switching monitors and you recently cleared the BIOS, tried a single processor video card, and verified the one stick of ram your using is good and not 800mhz., have the 4 pin +12v plug connected to the motherboard. Re-flashed latest BIOS using your 805 CPU and a single processor video card (if readily available). Verified speaker works and is connected properly.

Congratulations on getting up and running again.

Print out / Back up critical Data.
Verify you have the latest BIOS update.
Update to the newest ASUS Drivers.
Check for video card updates (BIOS and Driver).
Check for updated game patch's

Check memory.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Memtest86 can miss errors that Memtest86Gold can find, resulting in faulty RAM induced reboots.

Some manufacturers accept RMA’s directly.
With ASUS, I think your suppose to return it to the vendor for testing, replacing, or a BIOS update service.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
hi guys been reading this thread with interest as my pc has developed the same kind of issue....

was working fine for weeks and all of a sudden the pc will switch on with fans on full but no post...
what i notice is that the power and reset lights on the pc stay on all the time and the x1900xt card has 2 leds on it these both stay on all the time , no post beeps no nothing...
i have taken the graphic card and used it in another pc however re installing the card in the asus it will return to the same .. both leds on...

the only way i have been able to get the pc to boot again is to compleatly strip and rebuild it ... however i cant be doing this ever week to 2 weeks will drive me nuts.. any ideas?
i have tried a new psu and still get the same issue

oh yeh and another point ... for some reason removing or pluging in a usb device can cause the pc to boot when off...

p5w dh deluxe (latest bios)
6600 core2due
x1900xt
2x hitachi 250 raid

My P5W-DH does the same thing. It happens whenever I make the slightest change in setup, unplug a Sata drive, or if there's been a bad software crash. I find that the answer is to hold "Insert" while powering on, enter Bios and just "save" it again, (the settings haven't been lost) and reboot normally. It's an annoying bug which seems to happen with 1305 and 1201 but didn't occur with 1101.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I find that the answer is to hold "Insert" while powering on, enter Bios and just "save" it again, (the settings haven't been lost) and reboot normally.

Did you mean the reset/reboot Button?

No, the Insert button on the right side of the keyboard, to the left of Delete. This is the standard way of clearing Bios settings while booting but in this case it doesn't, it just lets the machine boot while leaving your settings alone. Turn on with the power button then a split second later press and hold Insert until the monitor shows POST and the Video card fan spins down.

nacho_man

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
got 2 lcd monitors here no issues with them...

currently running the 1305 bios .. however this might be a issue see message above!!

4pin +12v connected checked and double checked
re flashed the 1305 bios today after getting it to work just in case of a bios error... however if it goes again will try reverting to an older bios

speaker works when it boots correctly :)

running ati cat 6.8

not done a mem test yet.. but i doubt this to be the issue .. as i have had full evenings of gaming with no crash....

all these issues come from a cold boot ...normally in the morning or after the pc has been off for a long period

will try the following ... "I find that the answer is to hold "Insert" while powering on, enter Bios and just "save" it again, (the settings haven't been lost) and reboot normally"

if it fails on boot again
I was just writing this when you posted the new comment.

I would guess that you tried switching monitors and you recently cleared the BIOS, tried a single processor video card, and verified the one stick of ram your using is good and not 800mhz., have the 4 pin +12v plug connected to the motherboard. Re-flashed latest BIOS using your 805 CPU and a single processor video card (if readily available). Verified speaker works and is connected properly.

Congratulations on getting up and running again.

Print out / Back up critical Data.
Verify you have the latest BIOS update.
Update to the newest ASUS Drivers.
Check for video card updates (BIOS and Driver).
Check for updated game patch's

Check memory.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Memtest86 can miss errors that Memtest86Gold can find, resulting in faulty RAM induced reboots.

Some manufacturers accept RMA’s directly.
With ASUS, I think your suppose to return it to the vendor for testing, replacing, or a BIOS update service.

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
well, it has built in speaker, but the motherboard has a 4 pin connector for system warning messages

the p180 comes with a 10 pin thingy (which fits fine on the motherboard, but doesn't give any sound) and have a lot of single pins, but tried them on the 4 pin connector, doesn't give a sound

Do you hear beeps when you boot up now?
If you have an old 2-pin case speaker, you could attach it to 2 of the 4 pins. The outer two I believe. Refer to manual for speaker header location if needed.

4-pin speaker.
http://www.directron.com/casespeaker.html

This MOBO seems awesum, it's loaded with features.

nacho_man

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
mine booting fine for now .. and when it boots the fans spin at full then switch down low and the same time the motherboard will beep once and off we go, will load xp fine

its when you switch on and all you get is fans at full thats when it drives u nuts...

its a great board when its working .

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
For those of us using Nvidia cards who have already or are thinking about changing over to Intel Chipset based motherboards, then here is the mod which allows cards up to 7900GTX to be used in SLI.
This does not yet support the 7950 GX2 series of cards (no quad sli)
http://www.webalice.it/bairam/85.96_mod.exe

I also recomend using at least a 650-watt PSU.

Don't forget to plug in the 4 0r 8 pin +12volt ATX plug into the motherboard.

PorkyTheClown

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I could very well be worng, but could ATI video cards be causing this problem. People who have ATI cards (X1900 mostly) are having problems with POSTing on P5B Deluxe motherboards and P5w DH motherboards.

rice_nz

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006