Question ASUS Prime A320M-K with Ryzen 3 1200 doubt

Nov 4, 2023
Hello, I need some help, in 2020 I bought a motherboard ASUS prime a320m-k and I had a ryzen 3 1200, I remember that I had issues because when I installed the CPU and tried to power on it wouldnt, only the lights of the motherboard were working. I took it to the provider I bought the motherboard and I think he downgraded the BIOS version (I think), he handed it to me and after trying again in my home it worked, just like magic.
Now I bought a ryzen 5 5600g and my BIOS version today is 5007, and the brand new CPU needs at least the 6042 version. I instructed myself how to update the BIOS, its actually pretty easy, but here is my fear and my question: How can I know the update process wont stop half way if for some reason I get to live the same problem I had in 2020 with my current CPU?
PS: In 2020 I had less RAM, a lesser GPU and HDD (today its SSD).
PS 2: Maybe there was a slim chance that at the moment I bought that motherboard the BIOS was so outdated that the BIOS version back then didnt allow the use of Ryzen 3 1200.

Last edited:
Hello, I need some help, in 2020 I bought a motherboard ASUS prime a320m-k and I had a ryzen 3 1200, I remember that I had issues because when I installed the CPU and tried to power on it wouldnt, only the lights of the motherboard were working. I took it to the provider I bought the motherboard and I think he downgraded the BIOS version (I think), he handed it to me and after trying again in my home it worked, just like magic.
Now I bought a ryzen 5 5600g and my BIOS version today is 5007, and the brand new CPU needs at least the 6042 version. I instructed myself how to update the BIOS, its actually pretty easy, but here is my fear and my question: How can I know the update process wont stop half way if for some reason I get to live the same problem I had in 2020 with my current CPU?
PS: In 2020 I had less RAM, a lesser GPU and HDD (today its SSD).
PS 2: Maybe there was a slim chance that at the moment I bought that motherboard the BIOS was so outdated that the BIOS version back then didnt allow the use of Ryzen 3 1200.
It's not at all certain the problem you had in 2020 needed to be fixed with a BIOS reversion. It might have worked with another fix without that. But it worked and it is all that was needed for that processor so no need to try anything different.

Now you have the new processor which requires the update so you've really no choice aside from buying a new motherboard. So my suggestion is to update to the latest BIOS for your board to make sure you get all the latest stability and compatibility fixes AMD has included. Follow instructions in the manual; if you've any questions about that just ask here for more help.

Once you've updated and put in the new CPU be certain to reset CMOS. Check your manual for where the reset pins are and instructions, but I'd also suggest removing the small coin-cell battery for several minutes while you make the reset. This may have been the original problem in 2020: the board just needed to have CMOS reset for the new BIOS to run.

After you've done the reset and put it back together go ahead and start the system. It may take a few tries and even restart as the CPU trains memory.

If you are uncomfortable doing the BIOS update then take it to a "pro", like the guy who fixed it the first time, and ask him to do it. Be sure he also resets CMOS after putting in the new CPU (or you do it once you get it back home). Something to consider is if you choose to get a new board it may very likely also need a BIOS update for the new processor.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023
It's not at all certain the problem you had in 2020 needed to be fixed with a BIOS reversion. It might have worked with another fix without that. But it worked and it is all that was needed for that processor so no need to try anything different.

Now you have the new processor which requires the update so you've really no choice aside from buying a new motherboard. So my suggestion is to update to the latest BIOS for your board to make sure you get all the latest stability and compatibility fixes AMD has included. Follow instructions in the manual; if you've any questions about that just ask here for more help.

Once you've updated and put in the new CPU be certain to reset CMOS. Check your manual for where the reset pins are and instructions, but I'd also suggest removing the small coin-cell battery for several minutes while you make the reset. This may have been the original problem in 2020: the board just needed to have CMOS reset for the new BIOS to run.

After you've done the reset and put it back together go ahead and start the system. It may take a few tries and even restart as the CPU trains memory.

If you are uncomfortable doing the BIOS update then take it to a "pro", like the guy who fixed it the first time, and ask him to do it. Be sure he also resets CMOS after putting in the new CPU (or you do it once you get it back home). Something to consider is if you choose to get a new board it may very likely also need a BIOS update for the new processor.
Ok, so it should be safe for me to update the BIOS to the latest version with the Ryzen 3 1200 installed? I just want to make sure the update is succesfully made before installing the new CPU.

Ok, so it should be safe for me to update the BIOS to the latest version with the Ryzen 3 1200 installed? I just want to make sure the update is succesfully made before installing the new CPU.
Be sure to follow instructions for updating BIOS in the board's manual and it will be successful. The very last step of the update process itself is checking that it completed successfully. Just be patient and let it completely finish.

One thing many forget to do is extract the BIOS image file from the downloaded archive file. The image file is what needs to be put onto the USB key drive. If you do put the wrong file on the USB drive it will simply say it can't find a BIOS image to use, not do anything and leave the current BIOS untouched.

And again, if you're unsure of doing it yourself take it to a pro and let them do it. It's usually a very reasonable cost for doing it.

Last edited:
once the bios is updated the a320 wont recognize the Ryzen 3 1200 because the bios chip is like 16mb instead of 32mb

what the previous person did was roll back the bios back to a older version which supported it

but once you change to a bios that is a 4000/5000 series it wont post with that cpu

once the bios is updated the a320 wont recognize the Ryzen 3 1200 because the bios chip is like 16mb instead of 32mb
Are you sure of that for the board? I know with my MSI B350 board it drops support for Bristol Ridge but it will still boot up with Summit Ridge (1st gen) CPU's. Obviously, ASUS might have made different choices since MSI also dropped the graphical BIOS user interface.

Are you sure of that for the board? I know with my MSI B350 board it drops support for Bristol Ridge but it will still boot up with Summit Ridge (1st gen) CPU's. Obviously, ASUS might have made different choices since MSI also dropped the graphical BIOS user interface.

all a320s as far as i know only use 16mb in order for them to work they had erase them from the chip

each vendor is different judging by his post that it didn't boot originally suggests that it couldn't boot on that bios version.

all a320s as far as i know only use 16mb in order for them to work they had erase them from the chip

I think it depends on what they choose to eliminate from the BIOS. As I said, MSI removed Bristol Ridge processor support and their graphical interface to fit within the 16mb EEPROM's. Asus might have dropped 1st gen.

Not that it matters for OP: just be patient and let the BIOS update completely finish. Then shut down, put in the new CPU, reset CMOS along with pulling the battery, re-assemble and start it up. No need to look back once you're running 4th gen :)

Reactions: beyondlogic
I think it depends on what they choose to eliminate from the BIOS. As I said, MSI removed Bristol Ridge processor support and their graphical interface to fit within the 16mb EEPROM's. Asus might have dropped 1st gen.

Not that it matters for OP: just be patient and let the BIOS update completely finish. Then shut down, put in the new CPU, reset CMOS along with pulling the battery, re-assemble and start it up. No need to look back once you're running 4th gen :)
agreed strangely I've seen some boards not even support the ryzen 5500. most vendors do some just dont bit weird. bios updating its always a bit of a nerve racking its no way as bad as it used to be though.