Question Asus ROG STRIX 1080ti is preventing my PC from booting.

AmityX

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I bought a 1080ti today from a reliable source (friends much older brother). He bought it for his son, his son used it lightly for gaming on weekends for 2 months. He parted out his computer to buy camera equipment to pursue filmmaking and photography.

I went and tested the card out for an hour and a half today before buying (unigine heaven, shadow of the tomb raider, doom, overwatch etc etc). I uninstalled the card myself and inspected the pins and connectors to ensure the card was still sound, and would work when I got home. I started to install the card (after a fresh use of DDU) and got it all hooked up with the white lights on the indicator LED's saying that the connection was satisfactory and I proceeded to power on. But my power button wouldn't
start the PC. Thought I had accidentally unplugged my front panel connectors from the motherboard. Nope. I don't know why but I can't get this card that was working before I drove home, to work in my PC.

Specs:
i5-9600k
Asus ROG strix z390-f motherboard
32gb corsair vengeance 3200mhz
Corsair h100i platinum rgb
Wd black m.2 500gb
Wd black 2tb HDD
Thermaltake toughpower 750w 80+ Gold.
Miscellaneous fans and the corsair 275r case.

AmityX

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
If correctly powering the card, and still having the issue, then something went wrong while transporting/installing the card in your pc. Try testing it in different pc, if possible.
I figured that something might actually be wrong with it, that wasn't initially recognized even though it was running smoothly upon testing. I am taking it to a local computer place after work today and having my friend throw it on their test bench to see if it fires up. Will keep you posted though. I thought it could maybe be a bios issue? like the card is last gen and was hooked up to 8700k and an z370 motherboard. Perhaps there is a firmware issue that my newer motherboard and chip don't like?

AmityX

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
No, I don't think so. It should not prevent the system from starting. It looks like a short, that's why I mentioned the power connections.
I had it verified as a short in the 2nd 8pin connector, now I just need to take it to asus's Canadian head office with the receipt and see what they can do since it's still in warranty, thanks so much for your help!

TRENDING THREADS