Aug 15, 2024
Hi everyone. I just bought an Asus ROG Strix G17 G713PV-HX019W (AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX, RTX 4060, 16GB DDR5 4800MHz in slot1, and slot2 is empty). I need to upgrade to 64GB due to my heavy workload (containerization, virtualization, SQL, etc.).
ASUS official maximum capacity is 32GB, but when I looked I found that the CPU and the motherboard both support up to 64GB 4800MHz, also I found many sites and people stats that it's compatible up to 64GB.
Is it ok to try install 32GB DDR5 4800MHz in the empty slot (total 48GB) and test if the laptop is stable and compatible? Then if everything is ok try to replace the stoke 16GB with another 32GB?
Also, ASUS customer support confirmed that I need to stick with Samsung or Kingston and not Crucial. Is it really confirmed or also just recommendation? because I can't find them in my local market I only found Crucial.
Also, what are your recommendations to prepare and then test the laptop during this trials?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 15, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Looking through this reddit, you should be able to drop in 2x32GB DDR5-4800MHz sticks of ram from Crucial onto the slots in your motherboard. You should make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to upgrading your ram.
Thank you for your response. I checked the post but I need to confirm that I understood correctly.
I need to upgrade my BIOS to the latest first, then install 2x32GB 4800MHz, and make sure I keep my laptop cool and monitor CPU and RAM temperature, right?
Regarding the memory brand, I see in the post that he installed Crucial normally without any issues, right?

Do you have any suggestions to test the laptop after the installation?