[SOLVED] asus rog strix rtx 2080 ti - problems

Solution
Ok well usually if it's the core it will crash, and the vram errors will show up as artifacts and flashes. GPU manufacturers are guilty of not ensuring sufficient airflow over the vrm and vram chips. A few thermal pads simply is not enough considering they are sold for so much money. There should be good airflow over them and I think a pcb redesign is badly needed. This exposure to excessive heat over time causes them to fail. Your core temp could be perfect, yet your vram and vrm temperature is not being monitored at all. If underclocking is all that works, I would undervolt until you find the highest voltage and frequency where it does not happen. At least this way it is still useable. Has the card ever been opened by you, or a...

atticus000

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
Jul 30, 2020
You are not running an overclock on your cards memory are you? If so try and remove it. If that does not work you can try underclocking the vram frequency with something like msi afterburner. Drop the memory by 50mhz at a time until it goes away. It works sometimes, sometimes not but I wish you good luck.

atticus000

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
You are not running an overclock on your cards memory are you? If so try and remove it. If that does not work you can try underclocking the vram frequency with something like msi afterburner. Drop the memory by 50mhz at a time until it goes away. It works sometimes, sometimes not but I wish you good luck.

no I have never overcloecked it , I will try it and i ll let u know ! thank you for your help

Jul 30, 2020
No problem buddy as I really do hope it works. If it doesn't it could be the vram overheating also, so make sure the card has good airflow in the case, and the temperatures are good. Sometimes removing the backplate will help temperatures especially if case airflow is not great.

atticus000

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
No problem buddy as I really do hope it works. If it doesn't it could be the vram overheating also, so make sure the card has good airflow in the case, and the temperatures are good. Sometimes removing the backplate will help temperatures especially if case airflow is not great.

it runs around 68c according to NZXT program I have, do u know any other good program to check temps? I have underclocked by - 50 to -550 and these artifacts where there until it crashed :/ ! any other ideas?

Jul 30, 2020
HWInfo64 is the best for getting all temps from your system. This can be used with RTSS to give you a temperature display while gaming. For just GPU temperature and information use MSI afterburner and RTSS monitoring. Is the artifact you see when playing there when you first start playing or does it start after a few seconds?

Jul 30, 2020
It does seem strange that underclocking the core would fix it yet vram underclocking wouldn't as artifacts are generally caused by vram. It is however possible that heat is the cause and by running lower clocks, your gpu temperature is lower causing the vram to run cooler. Bear in mind that gpu temperature and vram temperature are different. The vram is placed around the gpu core. This is why I asked if it happens straight away or after playing for a moment. If that fixed it you could try seeing what voltage your card is at when - 450 on the clocks by enabling voltage monitoring in afterburner settings. You could then undervolt your gpu and increase the frequency again to gain back some performance.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=roS9HPxyiy4
-quick undervolt guide.

atticus000

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
It does seem strange that underclocking the core would fix it yet vram underclocking wouldn't as artifacts are generally caused by vram. It is however possible that heat is the cause and by running lower clocks, your gpu temperature is lower causing the vram to run cooler. Bear in mind that gpu temperature and vram temperature are different. The vram is placed around the gpu core. This is why I asked if it happens straight away or after playing for a moment. If that fixed it you could try seeing what voltage your card is at when - 450 on the clocks by enabling voltage monitoring in afterburner settings. You could then undervolt your gpu and increase the frequency again to gain back some performance.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=roS9HPxyiy4
-quick undervolt guide.

It does it right away when I open the game!

Jul 30, 2020
Ok well usually if it's the core it will crash, and the vram errors will show up as artifacts and flashes. GPU manufacturers are guilty of not ensuring sufficient airflow over the vrm and vram chips. A few thermal pads simply is not enough considering they are sold for so much money. There should be good airflow over them and I think a pcb redesign is badly needed. This exposure to excessive heat over time causes them to fail. Your core temp could be perfect, yet your vram and vrm temperature is not being monitored at all. If underclocking is all that works, I would undervolt until you find the highest voltage and frequency where it does not happen. At least this way it is still useable. Has the card ever been opened by you, or a previous owner? If so the vram and vrm thermal pads could be missing. This wouldn't help. The damage has probably already been done but some vrm heatsinks and ensuring sufficient vram cooling might be worth a try, but it's a very long shot. Best of luck buddy but I think undervolting is the way to go.

Last edited:
Solution

atticus000

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
Ok well usually if it's the core it will crash, and the vram errors will show up as artifacts and flashes. GPU manufacturers are guilty of not ensuring sufficient airflow over the vrm and vram chips. A few thermal pads simply is not enough considering they are sold for so much money. There should be good airflow over them and I think a pcb redesign is badly needed. This exposure to excessive heat over time causes them to fail. Your core temp could be perfect, yet your vram and vrm temperature is not being monitored at all. If underclocking is all that works, I would undervolt until you find the highest voltage and frequency where it does not happen. At least this way it is still useable. Has the card ever been opened by you, or a previous owner? If so the vram and vrm thermal pads could be missing. This wouldn't help. The damage has probably already been done but some vrm heatsinks and ensuring sufficient vram cooling might be worth a try, but it's a very long shot. Best of luck buddy but I think undervolting is the way to go.

thank you for all these information, do u think asus support could help my or repairt it some how with some cost?

Jul 30, 2020
They will not touch it unless warranty is still valid. You could try and take it apart yourself but make sure to have thermal paste to reapply on the gpu. Clean the whole pcb and all the dust from it and the heatsink and fins. Make sure the thermal pads are in place and if they are don't touch them. If any fins are bent try and straighten them so air can pass through easily. If it doesn't work you will just have to undervolt it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

atticus000

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
They will not touch it unless warranty is still valid. You could try and take it apart yourself but make sure to have thermal paste to reapply on the gpu. Clean the whole pcb and all the dust from it and the heatsink and fins. Make sure the thermal pads are in place and if they are don't touch them. If any fins are bent try and straighten them so air can pass through easily. If it doesn't work you will just have to undervolt it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

thank you very much for your help ! I ll see what I can do :/

Reactions: JetSetter84
Jul 30, 2020
Unless you have the evga ftw cards or a custom pcb from 3rd party with this option the gpu does not report any other temperature than the core itself. Temperature reported will be directly from the gpu core die, and is accurate.