Question Asus router accesspoint or repeater?

Oct 31, 2022
Hi all, i just got a quick question about router settings.
I got 3 routers in the house. one in the livingroom where the internett connects from outside and then it goes a cabel upstairs to another one and the i got one in my office where i have two computers.

I am just wondering what settings the other two routers should have (accesspoint or repeater?) and will this affect the ethernet sockets in anyway?

Lutfij

Titan
Model of the Asus router(s) you're working with? Something tells me that you may have too many wireless routers for one household, whereby you could consolidate your routers to just use one placed in the middle of your abode, mounted high above your appliances on the ground floor. Could you please provide a floor plan? A crude drawing would suffice, IMHO.

Unless you have a very good reason you should only have 1 router in your house and that needs to connect to the ISP.

Other devices you need to run as AP. The ethernet ports on a router running as a AP will function as a switch. You in general will still use the WAN port to connect the device back to the main router. Almost all routers have AP/bridge mode. There were tricky ways to use routers that did not but then you had to use one of the lan ports to connect to the main router.

Repeater mode generally means it is connecting to the main router via wifi rather than a ethernet cable. You really don't want to ever use that option unless there is no way else to connect.

Oct 31, 2022
Model of the Asus router(s) you're working with? Something tells me that you may have too many wireless routers for one household, whereby you could consolidate your routers to just use one placed in the middle of your abode, mounted high above your appliances on the ground floor. Could you please provide a floor plan? A crude drawing would suffice, IMHO.

Here is the floorplan
Floorplan

the Asus router is AC750 Dual band Gigabit Router the other routers are from my internet provider Telenor. i am not sure of the spesifications.

Oct 31, 2022
Unless you have a very good reason you should only have 1 router in your house and that needs to connect to the ISP.

Other devices you need to run as AP. The ethernet ports on a router running as a AP will function as a switch. You in general will still use the WAN port to connect the device back to the main router. Almost all routers have AP/bridge mode. There were tricky ways to use routers that did not but then you had to use one of the lan ports to connect to the main router.

Repeater mode generally means it is connecting to the main router via wifi rather than a ethernet cable. You really don't want to ever use that option unless there is no way else to connect.

Thank you for good answer, i am using wired connections now (need it for work) but i am not sure if my settings are correct.
So i just need to have them as AP then it should be good.

Nov 14, 2022
The repeater settings will work best for these devices. Setting them as access points may render them useful only upon a wired cable connection, while as a repeater, you can use them easily using a wireless connection as well. If you need help with how to access the settings, or if you can't log in to router's settings, you can refer to the tp-link repeater setup details here.

Reactions: oljo