[SOLVED] ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT | Keyboard Key feeling sticky. Unsure of how to clean/fix it.

Dustin Johnson

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
Hello. Lately I have been having troubles with my pre-built gaming laptop (below I will provide a link to the Amazon store page so people can see the specific model and some specs).
https://www.amazon.com/R7-3750H-Pro...eywords=asus+laptop+gtx&qid=1617924591&sr=8-2

For the last few days one of my keyboard keys has been "sticking". When pressed down it feels weird and "sticky". I have tried to clean it in a variety of ways such as putting compressed air underneath it at several angles and using a q-tip to apply cleaning alcohol to the sides to no success. It feels as if the stickiness is coming from directly below the key. The stickiness goes away after a brief amount of use, but quickly returns when I end up using the key again. How would I go about cleaning it?

I am unsure if I am even able to safely remove keyboard keys, and to the advice of friends they have recommended I avoid doing so. However, I cannot think of any other way to remedy the stickiness other than doing that. Any suggestions?

Solution
I'm not sure what ultrasound cleaning is, and it is a laptop keyboard so I am not entirely sure it can be removed.
Ultrasound cleaning uses a tub of warm solvent or distilled water and an ultrasound transducer to dislodge and dissolve dirt and contaminants off of things.

If laptops can be manufactured, they can usually be taken apart without too much fuss unless everything is glued together. On the most maintenance-friendly laptops, removing the keyboard can be as simple as sliding lock tabs tucked between F-keys and pulling up-away to reveal the DIMM slots. On the next easiest models, the keyboard is held in by a few tabs on top and 2-4 screws directly from the bottom. On slightly less maintenance-friendly models, you may need...

InvalidError

Titan
I can think of only two things that would make a keyboard sticky:
1- spilling some sugary drink on it which can either physically cause keys to stick or clog vent holes/channels in a membrane keyboard
2- very high humidity possibly causing a membrane keyboard to stick from the domes sealing too tight

If the keyboard has ever had something spilled on it, then the most practical way of fixing would probably be to remove the keyboard and have it ultrasound-cleaned since manual cleaning will most likely fail to completely remove everything from everywhere. Depending on how the keyboard was assembled, disassembly for manual cleaning may be either impossible or extremely tedious due to potentially large number of tiny parts: depending on how fancy the keyboard is, there can be 6+ tiny parts behind each key cap.

Dustin Johnson

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
I can think of only two things that would make a keyboard sticky:
1- spilling some sugary drink on it which can either physically cause keys to stick or clog vent holes/channels in a membrane keyboard
2- very high humidity possibly causing a membrane keyboard to stick from the domes sealing too tight

If the keyboard has ever had something spilled on it, then the most practical way of fixing would probably be to remove the keyboard and have it ultrasound-cleaned since manual cleaning will most likely fail to completely remove everything from everywhere. Depending on how the keyboard was assembled, disassembly for manual cleaning may be either impossible or extremely tedious due to potentially large number of tiny parts: depending on how fancy the keyboard is, there can be 6+ tiny parts behind each key cap.

I'm not sure what ultrasound cleaning is, and it is a laptop keyboard so I am not entirely sure it can be removed.

InvalidError

Titan
Ultrasound cleaning uses a tub of warm solvent or distilled water and an ultrasound transducer to dislodge and dissolve dirt and contaminants off of things.

If laptops can be manufactured, they can usually be taken apart without too much fuss unless everything is glued together. On the most maintenance-friendly laptops, removing the keyboard can be as simple as sliding lock tabs tucked between F-keys and pulling up-away to reveal the DIMM slots. On the next easiest models, the keyboard is held in by a few tabs on top and 2-4 screws directly from the bottom. On slightly less maintenance-friendly models, you may need to remove screws that hold the top trim piece to access the keyboard screws from the top. On the most maintenance-unfriendly laptops like some MacBooks, the keyboard is riveted into the top frame.

Unless your laptop is all glued together, you should be able to extract the keyboard one way or another. You do need to make sure whoever you intend to take the keyboard to for cleaning has a large enough ultrasound cleaner to fit the keyboard and whatever it may be permanently attached to if you decide to go that route.

Solution

Dustin Johnson

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014

If laptops can be manufactured, they can usually be taken apart without too much fuss unless everything is glued together. On the most maintenance-friendly laptops, removing the keyboard can be as simple as sliding lock tabs tucked between F-keys and pulling up-away to reveal the DIMM slots. On the next easiest models, the keyboard is held in by a few tabs on top and 2-4 screws directly from the bottom. On slightly less maintenance-friendly models, you may need to remove screws that hold the top trim piece to access the keyboard screws from the top. On the most maintenance-unfriendly laptops like some MacBooks, the keyboard is riveted into the top frame.

Unless your laptop is all glued together, you should be able to extract the keyboard one way or another. You do need to make sure whoever you intend to take the keyboard to for cleaning has a large enough ultrasound cleaner to fit the keyboard and whatever it may be permanently attached to if you decide to go that route.

I really appreciate your suggestions and will keep them mind, but they seem far above my skill level. Are there any solutions that are a bit more simpler or everyday? If there is a way to simply remove the keyboard key without potentially breaking it, or something I can use to simply get underneath it I would be grateful.