[SOLVED] Asus Windows 10 / Laptop not detecting any wifi/connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluze

Commendable
Mar 21, 2018
Hello, I have an Asus X455L laptop and I'm having trouble detecting wifi on my laptop.

It's all working good until I decided to add thermal paste on my cpu/gpu and other respective places, basically I disassembled my laptop to do it.

Then after everything is done and good, assembled back my laptop and after that I'm having wifi issues, it can't even detect my neighbor's wifi or even my wifi
BUT, when I go very close to the router (infront of it) it detects the wifi without any problem or without using ethernet at all, and when I go like 4-6 meters away from the router which is my default working place, it doesnt detect a single connection. I don't have a table or anything to place infront of the router so I can't stay infront of it just to use my pc..

I tried basic troublshooting, uninstall the network adapter on device manager and restarted pc
some command prompt cmds
temporarily disabled firewall for my conenction
updating bios (everything went well)

also other devices in our home detects and can use wifi very well without problem

what i'm thinking next is reinstalling windows 10, idk if its a good idea

but still no use :(

me and my brother is struggling with this and we have a coming online classes next week, any help would be appreciated so much... thank you

Last edited:
Solution
The video clearly shows the wireless adapter on the bottom side of the motherboard (a large white rectangle next to the fan). That's where the presenter removed the antenna during the early stages of disassembly.

Lutfij

Titan
until I decided to add thermal paste on my cpu/gpu and other respective places
Where would these other places be...?

You might want to share with us the current BIOS version for your laptop. You might want to uninstall the wifi adapter and have the box marked to delete the drivers as well. Then install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

fluze

Commendable
Mar 21, 2018
until I decided to add thermal paste on my cpu/gpu and other respective places
Where would these other places be...?

You might want to share with us the current BIOS version for your laptop. You might want to uninstall the wifi adapter and have the box marked to delete the drivers as well. Then install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

Sorry for that typo, only added thermal paste on cpu and gpu, nothing else.

My current bios version is 302, latest I could find on the manufacturers' website.

Latest windows 10 version, version 1909, checked for updates and im running the latest.

how do i do this part? "have the box marked to delete the drivers as well. Then install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator."

I don't see any box marked to delete other drivers and i think im having trouble doing the install drivers in elevated command or something , thxx.

Yes, you need to disassemble and check the connections. They must be square with the pins on the board and pressed STRAIGHT down until they click into place. It will be obvious when this happens. If you touch the wires near the connections and they simply fall off then they weren't properly snapped into place. Do not use any sort of tool for this, use your finger only, otherwise you risk damage to the connectors.

Here's a representative video showing what I'm talking about:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkEvKwVrAxA

fluze

Commendable
Mar 21, 2018
Yes, you need to disassemble and check the connections. They must be square with the pins on the board and pressed STRAIGHT down until they click into place. It will be obvious when this happens. If you touch the wires near the connections and they simply fall off then they weren't properly snapped into place. Do not use any sort of tool for this, use your finger only, otherwise you risk damage to the connectors.

Here's a representative video showing what I'm talking about:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkEvKwVrAxA

But my wifi card isn't like that, it doesn't have any cable connected to it at all it's basically just a box-shaped thingy on the motherboard, no cables or anything. The cable on the vid has the same cable on my fan btw so yeah, would look forward on ur help thx..

Or else i dont know what my wifi card actually is or where it is located, i'm not very familiar, i think it is where near the fan. im pretty sure because its that gold cable thingy.

But my wifi card isn't like that, it doesn't have any cable connected to it at all it's basically just a box-shaped thingy on the motherboard, no cables or anything. The cable on the vid has the same cable on my fan btw so yeah, would look forward on ur help thx..
Show us a picture of this "box-shaped thingy". What's in that sample video is what a wireless adapter looks like. Anything else isn't. Your problem is a physical problem caused by disassembly/reassembly, it is not a software problem.

fluze

Commendable
Mar 21, 2018
Show us a picture of this "box-shaped thingy". What's in that sample video is what a wireless adapter looks like. Anything else isn't. Your problem is a physical problem caused by disassembly/reassembly, it is not a software problem.

Ok, i'll send pictures tommorow when I disassemble it, its 12am rn and im about to sleep

and yeah im pretty sure its physical because wifi only stopped working after disassembling

fluze

Commendable
Mar 21, 2018
The video clearly shows the wireless adapter on the bottom side of the motherboard (a large white rectangle next to the fan). That's where the presenter removed the antenna during the early stages of disassembly.

hello, i finally got wifi access and its working now..

What i did is disassemble and just basically deplugged and plugged the cable on the adapter and it fixed it... thx

Status
Not open for further replies.