[SOLVED] Asus Xonar DG sound card line in/microphone buzzing and crackling

vipsangym

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Hi everyone! As the title of the thread says, I've got a problem with my Asus Xonar DG sound card. Line in and microphone recordings have a slight buzzing and crackling pattern ON THE LEFT CHANNEL based on the usage of the Pc.

It goes like this: when i stress the CPU the overall noise of the pattern is reduced (but it's still present) but when I stress the GPU the sound pattern changes into something even more unbearable and the overall noise of the pattern is heavily increased.
This issue only affects line in/mic recordings and it's enough to drive me mad. I am a digital piano player and I record all of my tracks on this soundcard. The line in recording sounds waaay too quiet compared to an integrated b450 pro sound card on a different PC. That's why I have to keep my Piano to 100% volume thus breaking my hearing and my patience.

Things I've noticed until now:
The buzzing pattern is much higher in volume on the left channel but it is also present on the right channel (much lower volume-check the photo below).
My computer is plugged into a grounded outlet. I've tried both grounded and ungrounded outlets and I've got the same results.
This is not a speaker problem. The problem is still present even with all speakers disconnected.
The problem was not present when I first bought the sound card. However, after a year of using it I upgraded my GPU to a RX-590. I do not know whether this is the cause of my problem, but yesterday I was able to swap my RX-590 for a RX-560 which is way weaker and does not require additional power from the PSU. Unfortunately I got the same results.

Photo

Solution
To wrap it all up: Today I had the opportunity to test my xonar dg card in another computer and surprise, surprise: I got the same results...I ended up buying a ASUS Xonar AE 7.1 sound card, after all. I just hope that it will last longer.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to include the make and model of your PSU and it's age. I'm suspecting either a failing PSU(considering the issue cropped up after the GPU upgrade) or that the board needs a BIOS update to communicate with the sound card, better.

Mind sharing the make and model of your motherboard and what BIOS version you're on at the moment? Did you try uninstalling your sound card drivers and manually reinstalling them with the latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

vipsangym

Reputable
May 29, 2017
You might want to include the make and model of your PSU and it's age. I'm suspecting either a failing PSU(considering the issue cropped up after the GPU upgrade) or that the board needs a BIOS update to communicate with the sound card, better.

Mind sharing the make and model of your motherboard and what BIOS version you're on at the moment? Did you try uninstalling your sound card drivers and manually reinstalling them with the latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

My PSU is a Thermaltake litepower 650W and I think it's over 3 years old now.
My motherboard is a msi 970a-G43 plus and it is running the latest BIOS update (1.1).

As for drivers, I've tried everything: xonar official drivers, uni xonar drivers and unfortunately with no success...

Last edited:

vipsangym

Reputable
May 29, 2017
To wrap it all up: Today I had the opportunity to test my xonar dg card in another computer and surprise, surprise: I got the same results...I ended up buying a ASUS Xonar AE 7.1 sound card, after all. I just hope that it will last longer.

Solution