wallpleases

Honorable
Sep 21, 2018
Hello, I have two asus xt-8 router/mesh nodes. One is set up as a master and one is connected as an ai-mesh node with ethernet backhaul.
I really bought these routers hoping they would be able to provide a smooth wifi experience. But haven't been able to get them working correctly.
When playing video games, every 15 or so minutes, the ping will randomly spike to around 300ms, and stay there for about 5-10 seconds, before dropping back down to normal. Sometimes I even lose contact to the game server entirely for a few seconds (probably due to timeout?)
The issue i the same across 2 different computers and a playstation
I'll post my router logs, my wifi settings from the router interface, and the results from some ping tests below. The ping test is made from pinging the default gateway at 0.5 second intervals. The network card used in the computer is an ASUS PCE-AXE59BT.

Lmk if i'm missing any information, and thank you to anyone that responds:))
hrelp1.png

hrelp2.png
hrelp.png

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I have two asus xt-8 router/mesh nodes. One is set up as a master and one is connected as an ai-mesh node with ethernet backhaul.
I really bought these routers hoping they would be able to provide a smooth wifi experience. But haven't been able to get them working correctly.
When playing video games, every 15 or so minutes, the ping will randomly spike to around 300ms, and stay there for about 5-10 seconds, before dropping back down to normal. Sometimes I even lose contact to the game server entirely for a few seconds (probably due to timeout?)
The issue i the same across 2 different computers and a playstation
I'll post my router logs, my wifi settings from the router interface, and the results from some ping tests below. The ping test is made from pinging the default gateway at 0.5 second intervals. The network card used in the computer is an ASUS PCE-AXE59BT.

Lmk if i'm missing any information, and thank you to anyone that responds:))
hrelp1.png

hrelp2.png
hrelp.png
I would start by changing settings from "auto". You don't control what is happening with auto. 20mhz for 2.4Ghz and 40Mhz for each of the 5Ghz.

But WIFI, in general is unpredictable. To get repeatable tests, you need to use wired connectivity.

wallpleases

Honorable
Sep 21, 2018
I would start by changing settings from "auto". You don't control what is happening with auto. 20mhz for 2.4Ghz and 40Mhz for each of the 5Ghz.

But WIFI, in general is unpredictable. To get repeatable tests, you need to use wired connectivity.
Thank you for responding.
I only have basic understanding of wifi and networking in general. I searched around on the internet and tried found different things that I should try. I tried setting 2.4Ghz to 40 and the two 5Ghz to 80 each. Does having a higher bandwidth create more interference?
I tried running a speedtest before on my computer, and it shoved ~ 100/100mbit/s, now it shows ~350/400mbit/s. That's a pretty huge improvement. I also adjusted the network channels since some guy on another forum suggested it?
Is there any general guide on this stuff? Like what channels to use with different setups, what bandwidths to use? Or is it just trial and error?
Just really curious and find it interesting. I actually work an ISP and troubleshoot routers all day (not as a technician, salesperson). And find it really interesting that so many people are having trouble with their wifi, when there are often easy fixes that can be found online?
I've been running a ping monitor at 0.5s intervals for 1.5 hours now and the problem seems to have disappeared?
Would you still recommend changing the bandwidth for 2.4 to 20 instead of 40 and the two 5Ghz to 40 instead of 80?
Untitled.png

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for responding.
I only have basic understanding of wifi and networking in general. I searched around on the internet and tried found different things that I should try. I tried setting 2.4Ghz to 40 and the two 5Ghz to 80 each. Does having a higher bandwidth create more interference?
I tried running a speedtest before on my computer, and it shoved ~ 100/100mbit/s, now it shows ~350/400mbit/s. That's a pretty huge improvement. I also adjusted the network channels since some guy on another forum suggested it?
Is there any general guide on this stuff? Like what channels to use with different setups, what bandwidths to use? Or is it just trial and error?
Just really curious and find it interesting. I actually work an ISP and troubleshoot routers all day (not as a technician, salesperson). And find it really interesting that so many people are having trouble with their wifi, when there are often easy fixes that can be found online?
I've been running a ping monitor at 0.5s intervals for 1.5 hours now and the problem seems to have disappeared?
Would you still recommend changing the bandwidth for 2.4 to 20 instead of 40 and the two 5Ghz to 40 instead of 80?
Untitled.png
40Mhz on 2.4Ghz is not optimum. There is such a limited amount of frequency available that 40Mhz on 2.4Ghz gets interference from all other WIFI. 20Mhz on 2.4, channel 1, 6, 11. 80Mhz provides more bandwidth, but YOU are trying for stability. 40Mhz will be more stable than 80Mhz, again because of lower interference. Do you want higher speedtest or more stable WIFI? That is the question.