PShooter1337

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hey guys, quick question:

Do ATX and mATX motherboards use the same type of standoff? A case I'm interested in says it comes with 9 ATX standoffs, but I've got a microATX board. I should still be able to use these standoffs, correct?

Thanks!

Solution

Compatible in height then yes, positions then no and you'll need to move the bottom 3 standoffs and use 2 of those moved, to the mATX positions which should be imprinted on the MOBO pan otherwise eyeball them. Never allow a standoff to NOT line-up with the MOBO's screw holes. Only the bottom (3) need to be moved (up). Most mATX use 2 instead of three holes on the bottom B + (R or S) (B, R & S are mATX only); see image.

(rotate counter clockwise 90 deg/ F-J-M are the top)
image-3.jpg
The standoffs are identical (or at least they will be compatible) but they will be in a different position.

Most cases support multiple form factors. The necessary holes will be drilled in the case and have a marking beside them indicating which formfactor they are intended for.

Compatible in height then yes, positions then no and you'll need to move the bottom 3 standoffs and use 2 of those moved, to the mATX positions which should be imprinted on the MOBO pan otherwise eyeball them. Never allow a standoff to NOT line-up with the MOBO's screw holes. Only the bottom (3) need to be moved (up). Most mATX use 2 instead of three holes on the bottom B + (R or S) (B, R & S are mATX only); see image.

(rotate counter clockwise 90 deg/ F-J-M are the top)
image-3.jpg

Solution