BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I have to replace my sound card. I can't afford the latest sound card, had just come off an SB Live Value that served me well for over 5 years. I have replaced the Live with an old MX300 Vortex 2 from Diamond and the sound just isn't nearly as crisp, so I need a change.

My questions: Is there a noticable difference in sound quality between an SB Live 5.1 or Platinum and the Audigy 1? Both are very attractively priced on Newegg and even at the rip-off superstores.

2. In regard to the Audigy 1, how can I prevent installation problems in Win98 SE? I had heard there are problems and would like to circumvent them if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The MX300 should provide better sound than the Live, at least my SQ2500 did (same chip). Perhaps you need to adjust the cards onboard hardware equalizer to better match your speakers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, and use driver revision 2048.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>