[SOLVED] Audio crackling with high load (possibly temperature related?)

dudeawsomeness1

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2015
My PC has had this issue for a long time (maybe since I built it) but I haven't bothered much to fix it because it is controllable and only happens under high loads. It is controllable because I am able to mitigate it pretty well just by letting the fans go full speed which leads me to believe that it has something to do with thermals? Anyway I found LatencyMon which is telling me to "disable CPU throttling" but all I can find online about that has to do with laptops and this is not a laptop. Is this simply a matter of tweaking my system and if so in what way? Or is this a problem that can be fixed with some kind of audio related hardware?
I used Borderlands 3 with low fan speed to test because that game is pretty toasty.

LatencyMon report:
"Conclusion: Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates."
(Apparently there is a BIOS update (version 3802) even though AI Suite 3 said I had no updates, so I'll post an update when I update that.)
Update: after updating the BIOS, the problem remains.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 3179.20
Highest reported ISR routine execution time (µs): 3252.636986 (HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation)
Highest reported DPC routine execution time (µs): 3232.776826 (iaStorA.sys - Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver - x64, Intel Corporation)

PC Information
Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
CPU: i5-6600k @ 3.5GHz (OC 4.1 GHz all core; done using AI Suite 3)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX (BIOS version: 3007)
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC
PSU: EVGA B2 750 W 80+ Bronze

P.S. Checking "disable all sound effects" did nothing.

Last edited:

dudeawsomeness1

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2015
Last edited: