windranger

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
I have a desktop Windows PC and have issue with the sound - for some reason it stopped outputting sound.

The case has two analog 3.5 jack audio outputs, one in the front, the other in the back.
In the past I could hear sound from both, but now there isn't sound coming from any of them.

I try with different speakers and headphones and same result, so I conclude it's not an issue with the cables or speakers.
Actually the speakers and headphones work fine with my laptop.

When a sound playing software (MPHC, Winamp, etc.) is running, I can see the sound indicator firing in the Volume Mixer.
Here is a screenshot of the Volume Mixer and Sound panels:
https://image.prntscr.com/image/1hFAyqN3REa3xfkHPgtTgg.png

I reinstalled the sound driver which I know I installed initially and it worked (Realtek High Definition Audio) but no luck.
I am not sure even about if the issue is from the hardware or from the software.

I would appreciate any hint that could lead to identifying the cause of the problem.

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
The link you've parsed doesn't work for me, comes up with a 403 issue. I'll try again later.

As for yours system, can you parse more information? Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Audio equipment:

Since this is posted in the Windows 10 section, please parse the version(not edition) of the OS. While the system is yet operational, go into BIOS and see what your BIOS version at the time of writing is. As for your audio drivers, did you source the latest version of the board's(assuming you're working with the audio chip bundled on the board)?

windranger

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Here's a different link with the screenshot: https://prnt.sc/26niu8e

BIOS: 1101
Intel Core i5 680 @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 4.00GB DDR3
MB: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55-M
HDD: WD 2TB
Audio:
- Sound Cards: High Definition Audio Device
- Playback Device: Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (4- High Definition Audio Device)

Except for the audio, the hardware info may be irrelevant, since as I mentioned the system used to output sounds fine.
I used the same driver, and it's the latest one, so it's not a driver issue.

windranger

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
If that helps, I've noticed that even if I plug in speakers or headphones' jack into the 3.5 plug, it won't become selectable - it will keep showing "Not plugged in".
So I can't select 'Speakers' item in the Sound panel...

windranger

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
I downloaded and reinstalled the audio driver from motherboard site.
https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/P7P55-M/HelpDesk_Download
The device selected by default has turned to 'Speakers' and in Device Manager there is one more entry under Sounds, the "VIA High Definition Audio".
So now it works!

I think some Windows update did something nasty, and screwed the driver.
Thank you all for the insights!

Solution