Question Audio only coming out of one ear even after trying a ton of fixes and reinstalling windows

Jul 17, 2023
So just about 2 days ago my computer just randomly decided that audio would only come out of the left ear. I've spent a few hours trying countless different fixes and even resorted to reinstalling windows. Despite all the effort nothing has changed and the audio still only comes out of my left ear. I've tried different headphones and headsets too so i know that isnt the issue. Does anyone have any ideas for what it could be? could it just be a hardware issue and i will have to get a audio card?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not that I expect a change, and would be highly unlikely if you haven't been inside the machine changing anything, but see if removing the front panel connector for audio makes the rear work on both channels?

Have you checked within the various sound consoles in Windows to see if anything is clicked (or not) that are supposed to be?

Jul 17, 2023
Not that I expect a change, and would be highly unlikely if you haven't been inside the machine changing anything, but see if removing the front panel connector for audio makes the rear work on both channels?

Have you checked within the various sound consoles in Windows to see if anything is clicked (or not) that are supposed to be?
I just tried that and it didnt change anything, and ive been through all the steps in probably 20 youtube videos about it where they had me change stuff in the control panels that never fixed it.

Jul 17, 2023
Do you have the ability to hook your PC up via HDMI or DP to a monitor (tv) with built in speakers to see if the issue follows?
Yes the issue doesn't seem to happen when i use the monitors on my speaker, but when i plugged my headphones into my monitor it went right back to happening.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I know you mentioned above that you have tried different devices. What manner of 3.5mm plug is on the PC and the devices?
Since you mentioned microphone I assume the separate type of plugs where the audio out plug only has "2" divisions, rather than the "3" that the uni-jack style have? (combined micro/audio jack)

Jul 17, 2023
I know you mentioned above that you have tried different devices. What manner of 3.5mm plug is on the PC and the devices?
Since you mentioned microphone I assume the separate type of plugs where the audio out plug only has "2" divisions, rather than the "3" that the uni-jack style have? (combined micro/audio jack)
The Microphone plugs in via usb, but has a plug with 3 divisions, along with the front and rear jacks having 3 divisions.

Jul 17, 2023
Part of the reason why I asked about disconnecting it, but I don't know if it could have bearing on the rear IO or not.
Never mind i just realized that since I usually use my blue yeti headphone jack which the yeti plugs in through usb that the HD audio cable wouldn't matter anyways.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, the issue is across all the 3.5 mm jacks front and back, also the USB adapter, but not present when using the HDMI output?
Then you also mentioned that when using HDMI to a monitor with a headphone jack on it that the issue presents on that jack as well?

Jul 17, 2023
So, the issue is across all the 3.5 mm jacks front and back, also the USB adapter, but not present when using the HDMI output?
Then you also mentioned that when using HDMI to a monitor with a headphone jack on it that the issue presents on that jack as well?
Yes, My monitor is DP but the information there is still correct otherwise

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ok, so next don't expect it to work....have you reset CMOS yet?

Have you had the CPU out of socket or anything like RAM out for cleaning, etc. any time right around when this issue presented?

Jul 17, 2023
Just reset CMOS, no change. And nope i havent messed with anything inside the pc until after the problem started.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes the issue doesn't seem to happen when i use the monitors on my speaker, but when i plugged my headphones into my monitor it went right back to happening.
If the monitor speakers work, but headphones plugged into the monitor don't then it isn't a PC problem, IMO. It would be a headphone problem. The PC doesn't know that headphones are plugged into the monitor.

Reactions: dudio

yossibac

Commendable
Dec 2, 2021
Is your Motherboard have integrated sound card?
If so, try installing a PCI sound Audio card and try.
You can get them for £10-£20 via eBay.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Use the configuration tool for the built-in audio system your mobo has - I expect it's a Realtek system. Look closely at what your speaker and headphone settings are. IF one or both is set to MONO sound, not stereo, you may get this effect.

Reactions: punkncat

Ralston18

Titan
@orphic72

From your post:

"The Microphone plugs in via usb, but has a plug with 3 divisions, along with the front and rear jacks having 3 divisions."

Any splitters or other adapters?

TR, TRS, TRRS information.

Just FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Likely some failure I think. However the link may help narrow things down a bit to what failed or where the failure is occurring.

Jul 17, 2023
Problem is now solved, discovered that the secondary headphones i tested with also had the same issue as my main headset so it seemed like there was no change. Thanks for all the help and its much appreciated. Time to spend money on a new headset lol.