Jun 23, 2020
Please, for the love of god, help me. I'm at the end of my sanity with this.

This is an issue I've been struggling with for a long time now, I've tried dozens of solutions & trolled through all the forums I can find but nothing has been able to fix it. I've reinstalled all the drivers for my machine, tried overclocking my CPU, tried disabling my CPU's safety slowdown, but nothing works.

In some games, as an example I'll list Overwatch and Total War: Warhammer 2, the audio will intermittently cut out for 1-2 seconds before coming back, sometimes cutting out twice or three times in a row, and continuing to happen at least every 10-20 seconds. This problem persists as long as I'm playing the game, though it usually takes a minute or two to manifest. This even happens in games that my setup should destroy (Like SCP: Secret lab with all the settings turned to their lowest, still audio stuttering and even the occasional sudden frame drop before returning to 60) It never happens outside of gameplay, all system sounds/watching netflix/youtube work flawlessly. I'm assuming it's a CPU issue by the descriptions I've read of CPU's occasionally slowing themselves down to prevent overheating; but strangely the CPU temp never approaches any dangerous temperatures and isn't anywhere close to 100% while these things are happening.

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, an NVIDIA GEFOrce RTX 2080 graphics card, and a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB hard drive. The CPU is cooled by a liquid cooler, and as I said, the temperature never reaches dangerous levels when any of this is going on.

I would be immeasurably greatful for any help y'all could offer. I know, I know, videogames are silly, but I like to unwind every now and then and the audio cutting in and out actually gives me a headache; I usually just mute the game audio and play a podcast or music.

Solution
Okay, so, I fixed this last night at 3AM. After staring at my audio devices I realized there was a ghost headphone device constantly flickering in and out of existence (only visible once every 30 seconds, but I'd wager it was flickering the entire time)

I'm pretty sure it was my front headphone jack, which I've never used. I was able to isolate the drivers for it through windows troubleshoot & after uninstalling them the problem is gone! I can't tell you how much this has repaired my sanity. If anyone finds this thread from googling the issue like I was in the future, all you have to do is uninstall the drivers for your front headphone jack!
Please, for the love of god, help me. I'm at the end of my sanity with this.

This is an issue I've been struggling with for a long time now, I've tried dozens of solutions & trolled through all the forums I can find but nothing has been able to fix it. I've reinstalled all the drivers for my machine, tried overclocking my CPU, tried disabling my CPU's safety slowdown, but nothing works.

In some games, as an example I'll list Overwatch and Total War: Warhammer 2, the audio will intermittently cut out for 1-2 seconds before coming back, sometimes cutting out twice or three times in a row, and continuing to happen at least every 10-20 seconds. This problem persists as long as I'm playing the game, though it usually takes a minute or two to manifest. This even happens in games that my setup should destroy (Like SCP: Secret lab with all the settings turned to their lowest, still audio stuttering and even the occasional sudden frame drop before returning to 60) It never happens outside of gameplay, all system sounds/watching netflix/youtube work flawlessly. I'm assuming it's a CPU issue by the descriptions I've read of CPU's occasionally slowing themselves down to prevent overheating; but strangely the CPU temp never approaches any dangerous temperatures and isn't anywhere close to 100% while these things are happening.

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, an NVIDIA GEFOrce RTX 2080 graphics card, and a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB hard drive. The CPU is cooled by a liquid cooler, and as I said, the temperature never reaches dangerous levels when any of this is going on.

I would be immeasurably greatful for any help y'all could offer. I know, I know, videogames are silly, but I like to unwind every now and then and the audio cutting in and out actually gives me a headache; I usually just mute the game audio and play a podcast or music.
Let's start from basic, have you try reinstalling audio driver ? or restore default setting the audio settings (on sound properties) ?

Jun 23, 2020
Okay, so, I fixed this last night at 3AM. After staring at my audio devices I realized there was a ghost headphone device constantly flickering in and out of existence (only visible once every 30 seconds, but I'd wager it was flickering the entire time)

I'm pretty sure it was my front headphone jack, which I've never used. I was able to isolate the drivers for it through windows troubleshoot & after uninstalling them the problem is gone! I can't tell you how much this has repaired my sanity. If anyone finds this thread from googling the issue like I was in the future, all you have to do is uninstall the drivers for your front headphone jack!

Solution

Nice info, Glad your problem is gone.