Question Automatic power on after power failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2020
Hey,

I have a B365M D3H motherboard from gigabyte and an Antec Basiq 500W Active PFC 12cm PSU VP500P power supply, I am trying to get my PC that acts as a server to automatically power back on in case the power in my house fails for a few minutes, basically I want it to always be on whenever there is power available.

I went into the BIOS and changed the setting "AC BACK" to "always-on", which works when I plug the cables in and out, turn off the power via the PS button or when flipping my power strip switch. However, when there is a real power failure, the PC would not power itself back on until I physically push the power on button, I have tested this twice and got the same results.

I have 3 of these computers with the exact same build and all of them act the same.

I am not sure what is going on and how exactly can the motherboard distinguish between a power failure in my house and me just pulling the power cord, does anybody have any idea what is happening?

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey,

I have a B365M D3H motherboard from gigabyte and an Antec Basiq 500W Active PFC 12cm PSU VP500P power supply, I am trying to get my PC that acts as a server to automatically power back on in case the power in my house fails for a few minutes, basically I want it to always be on whenever there is power available.

I went into the BIOS and changed the setting "AC BACK" to "always-on", which works when I plug the cables in and out, turn off the power via the PS button or when flipping my power strip switch. However, when there is a real power failure, the PC would not power itself back on until I physically push the power on button, I have tested this twice and got the same results.

I have 3 of these computers with the exact same build and all of them act the same.

I am not sure what is going on and how exactly can the motherboard distinguish between a power failure in my house and me just pulling the power cord, does anybody have any idea what is happening?

Thanks!
My guess is duration of outage. Pull the cord and wait 15 min before plugging it back in. A momentary outage (pulling the cord and plugging back in) doesn't allow all the capacitors time to discharge. 15 min pulled plug should be a good simulation.

May 18, 2020
My guess is duration of outage. Pull the cord and wait 15 min before plugging it back in. A momentary outage (pulling the cord and plugging back in) doesn't allow all the capacitors time to discharge. 15 min pulled plug should be a good simulation.
Thanks! I will test with a longer pause, is there anything I can do to make grace period longer? maybe a better battery?

USAFRet

Titan

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
May 18, 2020
And if that doesn't work it may be a limitation of the power supply.
Yes, the BIOS has the option for automatic restart after power loss. Matter of it is on be default or if you enabled it manually and what not. :sneaky:

Thanks but as I said in my post, I have already read the motherboard manual and changed the setting for "AC BACK", the thing is that it is not working when there is a real power failure. for some reason, it works when I pull the plug from the PS or from the wall but not when I turn off the power in my house.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Thanks but as I said in my post, I have already read the motherboard manual and changed the setting for "AC BACK", the thing is that it is not working when there is a real power failure. for some reason, it works when I pull the plug from the PS or from the wall but not when I turn off the power in my house.
Well if motherboard option is on and Im assuming your running the latest BIOS then it should do as said unless you connect it to a UPS possibly. However if its on a Surge Protector then once the power comes back on it depends on the motherboard if the computer will power up. In my case I used to have a Sabertooth x79 for example and here in Los Angeles we don't get power outtages but at times it did happen but rare as heck however what happens is what I want. I do not want the PC to power on once the electricity trikes. That is not healthy thing my friend. So maybe it is meant to be I don't know what else to tell you. ☮🖐🏽👩🏿‍🦲🙈💯✝

May 18, 2020
Well if motherboard option is on and Im assuming your running the latest BIOS then it should do as said unless you connect it to a UPS possibly. However if its on a Surge Protector then once the power comes back on it depends on the motherboard if the computer will power up. In my case I used to have a Sabertooth x79 for example and here in Los Angeles we don't get power outtages but at times it did happen but rare as heck however what happens is what I want. I do not want the PC to power on once the electricity trikes. That is not healthy thing my friend. So maybe it is meant to be I don't know what else to tell you. ☮🖐🏽👩🏿‍🦲🙈💯✝
I get your point but I need this since I am running a proxy server on the PC and it is important to me that it runs as much as possible, I will try contacting Gigabyte support, hopefully, they can help.

USAFRet

Titan
I am having the exact same issue. BIOS restart is set to ON. If I unplug the power cord from the server, when I plug it back in, the server will start up. But if I unplug the other end of the cord, where it plugs into the UPS, when I plug it back in, it will not auto start. I know, it seems impossible, but I have tried many times both ways and this is what happens every single time.
Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.