Question AV scans 4 files on formatted SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I just formatted an ssd and then scanned it with Bitdefender which says it scanned 4 files.

Why are there 4 files on an empty drive and why can I not see them? Is this normal?

Solution
D
When you format for NTFS or fat, it sets up the directories structure and that’s what you’re seeing

It has to set up a structure so that it can be written to by the OS

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
These are likely so-called super hidden files. See https://superuser.com/questions/1709740/super-hidden-folder
Interesting. The SSD had "My Documents" and "Pictures" from my last computer, so I assume they are Windows system files?
The initial scan stopped on a password protected file call D:\$RECYCLEBIN..etc and asked for a password to scan it. It wouldn't accept my old Windows login so I don't know what the password could have been. It found 2048 more files like that so I just formatted the drive because it felt suspect.
Scanning again after showed me that 4 files were scanned.

After doing a disk part clean in command prompt I am now getting only 3 files scanned by bitdefender. So the question remains: wtf are they??

I tried the commands in the link you sent but sadly they don't show anything.

What system do you mean? The drive has been formated and cleaned. Why would it have files from my old Win installation still?

As far as I know, formatting does not wipe literally everything from a drive.

I think there are areas that a format does not reach and that are unavailable to the end user. The drive has some info on it when sold by the manufacturer, having nothing to do with your later Windows installation. Look up "firmware".

What system do you mean? The drive has been formated and cleaned. Why would it have files from my old Win installation still?
It doesn't. The files that you can't see are related to Windows functionality such as Recycle Bin bookkeeping, indexing, System Restore points, and other partition information Windows uses.

As far as I know, formatting does not wipe literally everything from a drive.

I think there are areas that a format does not reach and that are unavailable to the end user. The drive has some info on it when sold by the manufacturer, having nothing to do with your later Windows installation. Look up "firmware".
Firmware doesn't live on the user visible space.

However storage drives do provide more space than advertised, but it's mostly for spare use in case the primary storage areas become unusable for some reason.

D

Deleted member 14196

When you format for NTFS or fat, it sets up the directories structure and that’s what you’re seeing

It has to set up a structure so that it can be written to by the OS

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I first used file explorer then did it from disk manager then again in command prompt. How would you suggest totally wiping an ssd in the future?
BitDefender saying it "scanned 4 files" doesn't necessarily mean 4 actual files.
Could be just the file structure.

How to wipe and SD depends on what will be the follow on use.

If for me continuing to own, delete all partitions in Disk Management and reformat.
If for an OS reinstall, delete all partitions during the OS install process.
If to sell, secure erase, via whatever means the manufacturer presents you.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
BitDefender saying it "scanned 4 files" doesn't necessarily mean 4 actual files.
Could be just the file structure.

How to wipe and SD depends on what will be the follow on use.

If for me continuing to own, delete all partitions in Disk Management and reformat.
If for an OS reinstall, delete all partitions during the OS install process.
If to sell, secure erase, via whatever means the manufacturer presents you.
Good to know, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.