Avoid SSDs with Jmicron’s JMF602 Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Going the way of the Dinosaur. I am still sticking with my raid-0 HDD for the foreseeable future with intermittent backups of the files I want to keep. SSD is too expensive. SSD is too new to know if it has long term problems that are as yet unknown. SSD is just popular, and I hate things that are popular, they never live up to the hype.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
SSD's will be great in the future, but I'm sticking to my 32mb cache SATA drives. I'm running a single 750gb in this system right now, and I've got great performance out of it. When I need more storage, I'll simply spring for another 750gb. Easy on the wallet and dependable, as opposed to the SSD craze.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
For those who have done their research and purchased a SSD to fit their needs, they truly are indispensible. They are not a fad, trend, or a quick technological blip on the radar, they are here to stay. I personally have 4 64GB SLC SSDs and will never go back to a magnetic based storage solution. It is like going from modem to DSL/Cable...there is no desire to go back to the dark ages of storage solutions.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]For those who have done their research and purchased a SSD to fit their needs, they truly are indispensible. They are not a fad, trend, or a quick technological blip on the radar, they are here to stay. I personally have 4 64GB SLC SSDs and will never go back to a magnetic based storage solution. It is like going from modem to DSL/Cable...there is no desire to go back to the dark ages of storage solutions.[/citation]
So, you have upwards of $1600 to toss into your storage devices. most people have about $1000 for their rig, sometimes more, sometimes less. SLC is the most expensive per megabyte, so I know you are paying less than $400 a pop for those, especially if you have had them long enough to become addicted to them.

They are great, wonderful, not fads and I will one day likely move to them or something that replaces them. For today though, they are not reliable, they are advancing too fast for me to spend the cash for one today that may be 1/4 the speed, storage space and longevity of one I could have paid half price for 6 months from now. For people with unlimited cash for these toys, they are well worth the cash, but for people who have more modest means, or just modest personalities, I think HDD is the way to go, today.

campiosa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
There are alot more factors that go into an SSD's performance than just the controller. Mostly the problems arise from Windows not being optimized for SSD technology. The most common cause of the I/O "choke" is from improper partition alignment and can be easily fixed before the OS is installed. I am currently using a Jmicron controlled SSD and its performance is great.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186 is a great place for info on SSD changes and tweaks to get the best performance from your device.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Actually I've spent around $2,000 for my SLC SSDs. Like I said though, a SSD is a need based storage solution. For those who have the money and a need for this type of storage, a SSD is perfect. For those who don't, a traditional HD would work just fine.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]Actually I've spent around $2,000 for my SLC SSDs. Like I said though, a SSD is a need based storage solution. For those who have the money and a need for this type of storage, a SSD is perfect. For those who don't, a traditional HD would work just fine.[/citation]
I agree with you. If you really do need that speed, and you make money off your computer, then it is the way to go, and replacing them a year from now with higher performing ones would be economically worth while. I guess we are in two different levels of the computer usage model. I am just a home user commenting on rigs, typically for things like gaming, and you seem to be a professional who might be into database management or something else that is heavily taxing on the storage system.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]john_smarty[/nom]hdd is old technology. sometime soon it has to be replaced. but i dont think that ssd's are going to be the ones to do it.[/citation]
Then what tech will?

There are already SSDs that can do 600MB write and 700MB read. Just like any technology, it's going to be expensive at first, but once it starts picking up speed, prices will go down.

Look at CDs, 20 years ago they were extremely expensive, and many believed them to unnecessary. Now a device that reads CD can be had for less than $10, and it costs less than a cent to press a CD.

Avoid Jmicron you say, Should we have just avoided Intel for its release of the Pentium D's(Not that i owned a single P4 based chip) that would overheat on stock cooling, even though such a problem was fixed later(Die shrink, ect).

Would it not make sense to tell us to check back later as you review this "New" controller to see if it stacks up? and Avoid Jmicron until that time.

EDIT.

I can edit and so can you :p

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Then what tech will?There are already SSDs that can do 600MB write and 700MB read. Just like any technology, it's going to be expensive at first, but once it starts picking up speed, prices will go down.Look at CDs, 20 years ago they were extremely expensive, and many believed them to unnecessary. Now a device that reads CD can be had for less than $10, and it costs less than a cent to press a CD.[/citation]

I assume your talking about the Fusion ioDrive for that kind of performence. We are testing these here at work, they are very nice. Too bad they are so damn expensive, we have already had one die on us. At least they didnt tell us we were using it too much like Dell did.

siliq

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
OCZ provides a wide variety of SSD products ranging from low-end Core Series to high-end Vertex/Apex. Could some reader here (or the editor, or some ppl from OCZ) tell me which series/type/model uses the defective JMicron controller and which model uses other improved controllers?

G

thanks for the review, however I don't think it'll make that much of difference!
Yes the controller may be crappy, but that (or similar) controller was standard on all SSD's of a couple of years ago!

It's not that the controller is crappy, it's that intel (and now other manufacturers) finally created some great controllers that improve performance greatly!

Still, when I buy my SSD, I will keep an eye out for the bad controller,and try not to buy it!

G

[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]... with our old SCSI drives.I wish we could edit comments.[/citation]
Yeah! I wished too we could edit comments with those drives.. Unfortunately this is a SSD thread.. That's why ;)

You can log into the normal forums page to edit a comment if you need.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/
Click the red flag to show all my active posts then go down to news comments and click the link to get a list of all news comments(if any have been replied to they show up without clicking the link this way too).

You should be able to edit in there.

I will edit above to show it works :p

Status
Not open for further replies.