Sep 4, 2020
I'm upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3600 which I plan to overclock (maybe to 3.8 or 4) and need a new board to go with it. I ordered a B450 mortar max for $120 because it has pretty good vrm and it was cheap but now I'm second guessing. My question is should I refund the B450 and just eat the extra cost of a X570 board to ensure future comparability and better oc stability? If so is there an X570 board you would recommend for my needs (good vrm, not super expensive)?

Solution
I ended up going with the ASUS TUF X570-Plus as it was $190 and provided everything I wanted plus the option to upgrade later. This coupled with the fact that my Mortar Max was having "shipping delays" and I had no way to track its progress I feel much better getting this board. Thanks for the feedback y'all!
Sep 4, 2020
What about B550?
My problem with b550 is that all the boards that fit my needs are like $10 less than a comparable X570 which generally has a better feature set. Theyre definitely not out of the question but I have yet to see a b550 board that really makes a case for itself against a slightly more expensive x570

Not having a tiny/whiny fan on the chipset would be a good reason!

I generally agree though. B550 boards are priced too close to X570. Sounds like most of that reason was the inclusion of PCIe4.0 (whether or not that significantly affects the BoM....) and typically better VRMs than B450.

Sep 4, 2020
Not having a tiny/whiny fan on the chipset would be a good reason!

I generally agree though. B550 boards are priced too close to X570.
Hahaha yeah I have seen some dumb stuff with GPUs completely blocking PCH fans but I'm really not worried about it and noise is no issue for me as I play with headphones.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
My problem with b550 is that all the boards that fit my needs are like $10 less than a comparable X570 which generally has a better feature set. Theyre definitely not out of the question but I have yet to see a b550 board that really makes a case for itself against a slightly more expensive x570

Just going from memory & I'd have to look to say definitively, but the Gigabyte Aorus Pro(?) is a solid B550 board in the ~$110 range, especially relative to the B450 Mortar Max?

I think you're looking at ~$160 before you get anything more than a barebones X570, and most of the decent B450 are up around $100 anyway, no?

EDIT.
Cant find the Mortar Max for sale anywhere to verify pricing.... but the Tomahawk Max is $125, so the Mortar should be a little cheaper.... Assuming around $100.

Then you have the Aorus Pro for ~$120
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/39...pro-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550m-aorus-pro

And, excluding the one ASRock X570 at $135, you're looking at a minimum $150 for entry level X570?
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=price&s=33&c=138

Reactions: SaintAxiom
Sep 4, 2020
I ended up going with the ASUS TUF X570-Plus as it was $190 and provided everything I wanted plus the option to upgrade later. This coupled with the fact that my Mortar Max was having "shipping delays" and I had no way to track its progress I feel much better getting this board. Thanks for the feedback y'all!

Solution