[SOLVED] B550 Aorus Pro AC with USB power surge problems, what could it be?

Nov 10, 2018
Hi guys, recently I have sent my motherboard to RMA but I need my new build for work (old i5 4690 is too weak for multiple VMs and docker containers), so I was wondering what I could think off these issues, since if I confirm it's a motherboard related problem I could buy a new one at a blink and ask for refund for the defective one (because oh boy it's definitely taking sometime). Here's my build:
  • Ryzen 9 3900X
  • B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (2x16) 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16/Micron modules) - not in QVL list - (MemTest86 - 4 tests/0 erros) - Worked first time when I enabled XMP at Bios.
  • GTX 970 Windforce
  • Kingston A1000 M.2
  • 1TB HDD 7200RPM
  • 4 Corsair AF120 fans
  • EVGA 750W Supernova
After booting up and using the motherboard for a few minutes I started seeing these messages on Windows:
o7o196m03yt51.png

USB Power Surge Warning on Windows - I did receive these warnings even if nothing was connected on the defective USB ports

I didn't know where it was, everything worked perfectly on USB 2.0 ports so I kept it like this while running MemTest86 at night (Passed with 4 tests and 0 errors).
After I wake up I tried to troubleshoot the issue with what I had at hand, turns out there's 4 USB ports that wouldn't work with more demanding USB devices (like a mechanical RGB keyboard) and kinda work with disconnections on less demanding ones, these are the USB ports with the issue:

dam9wc9h3yt51.png

A photo of the back of the motherboard with the USB ports that didn't work

Here's what happened when trying to plug stuff in these ports:
  • Mechanical Keyboard - Didn't work at all (lights didn't even turned on)
  • Wired Xbox 360 Controller from Feir - when I plugged in the lights would turn on and then turn off immediately, after 10 seconds would turn on again and turn off 2 seconds later, from there on a loop of connection/disconnection would start with the Windows sound effect going on in the background
  • Phone charger - would work without disconnection but I sincerely don't know the speed it would charge.
Keep in mind that every device is working perfectly, in fact I'm using them RN.

What I tried:
  • Disconnecting from the motherboard every front panel connections with the exception of power and leds
  • Turning off XMP at bios (Remember the 0 erros from 4 tests in MemTest86)
  • A new fresh install of Windows with internet off
  • Reinstalling every USB driver from Windows
There could be some other problems (maybe PSU or static from the case because it was new), since I had to work next day I started to take eveything off, emailed RMA and then started to put my old computer together again, this is my old computer:
  • Gigabyte Z97-D3H REV 1.1
  • Intel Core i5 4690
  • 16GB 1600mhz Team Group (not in QVL list)
  • GTX 970 Windforce
  • Kingston A100 M.2
  • 1TB HDD 7200RPM
  • 4 Corsair AF120 fans (actually it's from the new build but I kept it)
  • EVGA 750W Supernova
Every USB port of my old Z97 motherboard is working perfectly fine, the fans are fine and everything is work as it should.

So, what you guys think, could this be a problem with the motherboard itself or it's anything else related problem?
Thanks for you time.

Solution
Hi guys, recently I have sent my motherboard to RMA but I need my new build for work (old i5 4690 is too weak for multiple VMs and docker containers), so I was wondering what I could think off these issues, since if I confirm it's a motherboard related problem I could buy a new one at a blink and ask for refund for the defective one (because oh boy it's definitely taking sometime). Here's my build:
  • Ryzen 9 3900X
  • B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (2x16) 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16/Micron modules) - not in QVL list - (MemTest86 - 4 tests/0 erros) - Worked first time when I enabled XMP at Bios.
  • GTX 970 Windforce
  • Kingston A1000 M.2
  • 1TB HDD 7200RPM
  • 4 Corsair AF120 fans
  • EVGA 750W Supernova
  • Ryzen 9 3900X
  • B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • GTX 970 Windforce
  • Kingston A1000 M.2
  • 1TB HDD 7200RPM
  • 4 Corsair AF120 fans
  • EVGA 750W Supernova
After booting up and using the motherboard for a few minutes I started seeing these messages on Windows:
o7o196m03yt51.png

USB Power Surge Warning on Windows - I did receive these warnings even if nothing was connected on the defective USB ports

I didn't know where it was, everything worked perfectly on USB 2.0 ports so I kept it like this while running MemTest86 at night (Passed with 4 tests and 0 errors).
After I wake up I tried to troubleshoot the issue with what I had at hand, turns out there's 4 USB ports that wouldn't work with more demanding USB devices (like a mechanical RGB keyboard) and kinda work with disconnections on less demanding ones, these are the USB ports with the issue:

dam9wc9h3yt51.png

A photo of the back of the motherboard with the USB ports that didn't work

Here's what happened when trying to plug stuff in these ports:
  • Mechanical Keyboard - Didn't work at all (lights didn't even turned on)
  • Wired Xbox 360 Controller from Feir - when I plugged in the lights would turn on and then turn off immediately, after 10 seconds would turn on again and turn off 2 seconds later, from there on a loop of connection/disconnection would start with the Windows sound effect going on in the background
  • Phone charger - would work without disconnection but I sincerely don't know the speed it would charge.
Keep in mind that every device is working perfectly, in fact I'm using them RN.

What I tried:
  • Disconnecting from the motherboard every front panel connections with the exception of power and leds
  • Turning off XMP at bios (Remember the 0 erros from 4 tests in MemTest86)
  • A new fresh install of Windows with internet off
  • Reinstalling every USB driver from Windows
There could be some other problems (maybe PSU or static from the case because it was new), since I had to work next day I started to take eveything off, emailed RMA and then started to put my old computer together again, this is my old computer:
  • Gigabyte Z97-D3H REV 1.1
  • Intel Core i5 4690
  • 16GB 1600mhz Team Group (not in QVL list)
  • GTX 970 Windforce
  • Kingston A100 M.2
  • 1TB HDD 7200RPM
  • 4 Corsair AF120 fans (actually it's from the new build but I kept it)
  • EVGA 750W Supernova
Every USB port of my old Z97 motherboard is working perfectly fine, the fans are fine and everything is work as it should.

So, what you guys think, could this be a problem with the motherboard itself or it's anything else related problem?
Thanks for you time.

I have had that happen a couple times before on my ASUS Z77 motherboard with an external Samsung 1TB HDD.

What has happened is the client device requested too much power and either tripped an internal sensor or (more likely) blew the poly fuse. This is a safety device designed to prevent both pieces from being damaged. The poly fuse will reset with time, but once it blows, it trips again easier. Windows makes a log of which USB device ID tripped the safety and refuses to stick that USB Client device into high power again. (>1Amp) You'll have to reinstall windows to allow high power on that port again. (Sorry I can't remember where it's logged.) Give it a week to reset after a fresh windows install. Use a regular non rgb keyboard. And if that doesn't work OEM it back if under warranty. Other than that, you'll have to be good with a soldering iron and finding the poly fuse to replace it. The XBox 360 controller powering on and off is a sign the poly fuse has blown as it will allow a leakage current, but heat up again until it trips again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse

USE the original USB cord that came with the client device and use it on another port. Some ports share a USB chipset hub (split bandwidth), so it might be possible the entire vertical block might refuse to go high power.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicolasteixeira3856
Solution
Nov 10, 2018
I have had that happen a couple times before on my ASUS Z77 motherboard with an external Samsung 1TB HDD.

What has happened is the client device requested too much power and either tripped an internal sensor or (more likely) blew the poly fuse. This is a safety device designed to prevent both pieces from being damaged. The poly fuse will reset with time, but once it blows, it trips again easier. Windows makes a log of which USB device ID tripped the safety and refuses to stick that USB Client device into high power again. (>1Amp) You'll have to reinstall windows to allow high power on that port again. (Sorry I can't remember where it's logged.) Give it a week to reset after a fresh windows install. Use a regular non rgb keyboard. And if that doesn't work OEM it back if under warranty. Other than that, you'll have to be good with a soldering iron and finding the poly fuse to replace it. The XBox 360 controller powering on and off is a sign the poly fuse has blown as it will allow a leakage current, but heat up again until it trips again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse

USE the original USB cord that came with the client device and use it on another port. Some ports share a USB chipset hub (split bandwidth), so it might be possible the entire vertical block might refuse to go high power.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Replacing the poly fuse would be kinda difficult to me, i'm using the original usb cord for every device.

Some ports share a USB chipset hub (split bandwidth), so it might be possible the entire vertical block might refuse to go high power.

I think it could be something exactly like that, since the entire USB ports weren't working properly but the usb 2.0 entire hub and the one beneath the lan connection worked totally fine with every device. I was thinking too about some ram issues or CPU, but since MemTest86 passed 4 tests and I was able to boot/post just fine every single time (without any BSOD) with XMP profile on (and off too), and even overclock my Ryzen 9 at decent speeds/vcore would it be safe to call it a problem on the motherboard usbs itself?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Replacing the poly fuse would be kinda difficult to me, i'm using the original usb cord for every device.

I think it could be something exactly like that, since the entire USB ports weren't working properly but the usb 2.0 entire hub and the one beneath the lan connection worked totally fine with every device. I was thinking too about some ram issues or CPU, but since MemTest86 passed 4 tests and I was able to boot/post just fine every single time (without any BSOD) with XMP profile on (and off too), and even overclock my Ryzen 9 at decent speeds/vcore would it be safe to call it a problem on the motherboard usbs itself?

Yep. Sounds like your polyfuse hasn't fully reset yet. It may never. Is the MB under warranty still? I know my Z77 had a 5 year warranty on it.

Nov 10, 2018
Yep. Sounds like your polyfuse hasn't fully reset yet. It may never. Is the MB under warranty still? I know my Z77 had a 5 year warranty on it.
Yep it is, I will send it to warranty . Thanks for the follow up man, it's a great help.
Ah there's one thing that I forgot to mention, my USB cable to charge the phone (also original) is 1AMP and was working without disconnections, but would take 10 hours to fully charge the phone (60% battery left to charge).

Last edited:
Yep it is, I will send it to warranty . Thanks for the follow up man, it's a great help.
Ah there's one thing that I forgot to mention, my USB cable to charge the phone (also original) is 1AMP and was working without disconnections, but would take 10 hours to fully charge the phone (60% battery left to charge).

That sounds about right. The USB Port will work in a low power mode after a trip, or even if the poly fuse is blown will allow for a few ma current.

TRENDING THREADS