B550 Tomahawk support 2000 Series?

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
Just like the title, does a MSI B550 Tomahawk (not max) support 2000 series? Specifically 2600X?

I'd like to change motherboard cuz my current one is not good and preparing myself for the 5000 series that ill buy soon.

So if the answer is NO, then can I atleast boot the pc to bios and update the bios to maybe support 2600X for now until I get my hands on 5000 series CPU?

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
Thanks! So looking at this page, it seems like the 5000 series are compatable with the mb, but are they ready out of the box or do I have to download the latest bios update to get it to work?

Thanks! So looking at this page, it seems like the 5000 series are compatable with the mb, but are they ready out of the box or do I have to download the latest bios update to get it to work?
So are 3000 series processors...

You'll probably have to download and update to a supporting BIOS for any B550 board currently in the stores. If you don't have a 3000 series processor to do the update (you'll need one) then look for a board with a BIOS FlashBack feature. Also, you might ask the retailer if they have the ability to update it for you.

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
So are 3000 series processors...

You'll probably have to download and update to a supporting BIOS for any B550 board currently in the stores. If you don't have a 3000 series processor to do the update (you'll need one) then look for a board with a BIOS FlashBack feature. Also, you might ask the retailer if they have the ability to update it for you.
Okaay I see... But I have a USB that I can put the bios update in, can't I simply use a 2000/5000 series processor to just get it into bios and update it from there or will the pc simply not work at all? Not even get into the bios to update it? Because if im forced to get myself a 3000 processor I would simply not go for the mb then, just not worth it if thats the case, which hopefully isnt...

Okaay I see... But I have a USB that I can put the bios update in, can't I simply use a 2000/5000 series processor to just get it into bios and update it from there...

There are quite a few reports of people running B550's with 2000 series processors so it appears its possible but that doesn't mean it definitely will for your board. If you want to chance it and have the option to return the board if it won't then give it a try. In any case it's not supported and only going to be helpful if it lets you boot into the BIOS update screens.

If you want the best possibility of success then look for one with a bios flashback...MSI and Asus in particular have several. With that even if the board won't boot up you just plug in a USB with the BIOS on it and punch a button to tell it to copy the new BIOS off the USB.

Last edited:
Reactions: danielkassem

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
There are quite a few reports of people running B550's with 2000 series processors so it appears its possible but that doesn't mean it definitely will for your board. If you want to chance it and have the option to return the board if it won't then give it a try. In any case it's not supported and only going to be helpful if it lets you boot into the BIOS update screens.

If you want the best possibility of success then look for one with a bios flashback...MSI and Asus in particular have several. With that even if the board won't boot up you just plug in a USB with the BIOS on it and punch a button to tell it to copy the new BIOS off the USB.

Oh okay, thank you! This may be a lil off-topic but can you run 4x8 clocked @ 3600mhz cl8 with b550 tomahawk?

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
This is one of the 4x8 kits listed in the Memory QVL for the MSI B550 Tomahawk and Ryzen 5000 and Ryzen 3000 CPUs:
F4-3600C18Q-32GTZR-G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.

So it is possible.
What Exact RAM kit are you asking about ???
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x8 3600mhz cl18, I already have a 2x8 right now but kind of thinking about getting another pair of 2x8, so I dont have to upgrade in the future. So i'll pretty much have 4x8 in my build soon, so just wanna make sure it works with the b550 tomahawk. :)

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
It is possible that adding another 2x8 kit with the exact same model number will work BUT it is Not guaranteed to work.

RAM is sold in kits to ensure that all the RAM sticks are compatible with each other.
Many times even RAM with the exact same model number uses different memory IC's or PCB's which makes them Not compatible.

You can certainly try them, if they don't work you can return the new kit and sell the original kit and then buy a 4x8 GB Or 2x16 GB kit.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Oh man thats a bummer... So how would I know if it works or not? Will the pc not be able to go to 3600 mhz or something?
Install it and then set the 3600 XMP (DOCP for ASUS) profile and see if it boots.
If it boots run some RAM tests like Memtest86, HCI Memtest, MemTest64, etc.

PS
I am assuming you will be running a Ryzen 3000 or 5000 CPU on that B550-A motherboard.
Because the 2000 series CPUs are not officially supported on B550 or X570 motherboards and may not boot at all.

danielkassem

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
Install it and then set the 3600 XMP (DOCP for ASUS) profile and see if it boots.
If it boots run some RAM tests like Memtest86, HCI Memtest, MemTest64, etc.

PS
I am assuming you will be running a Ryzen 3000 or 5000 CPU on that B550-A motherboard.
Because the 2000 series CPUs are not officially supported on B550 or X570 motherboards and may not boot at all.
Yeah I'll be getting a 5600X soon, I'll go and get the RAM and see if it properly works, Thanks for assisting me! :)

Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS