joemerrick

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hello,
I somehow got this Babylon toolbar and a bunch of malware/viruses on my computer. I tried malwarebytes and Microsoft Security essentials, but to no avail. I installed Avast and it seemed to work, but now my toolbar won't let me add a new tab from the previous one. Instead, there's this button which allows you to get a new tab. I'm just wondering if I got Babylon off, and if so how do i get my tabs to work like they usd to. Thanks for the noob help.

hodsocks

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I think you can delete the Babylon toolbar through Add/Remove programs, once removed, if your browser tabs are still not working you can restore your browser back to default settings.

joemerrick

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Yeah, I did that. The problem seems to lie in the about:config. There's about 15 Babylon files there. I tried the whole restart thing, but they are still there. Any clues on how to remove them from Firefox 9? Thanks as always.

How do you get your browser back to default settings--Firefox?

Also, I am in about:config and I have located the problems. I just can't delete them. I tried resetting them and restarting my computer and they just stay there. If you know how to get rid of some thing like that I'd really appreciate it.

Here is a thread discussing removal that details what you need to do in about:config to remove it -- for example here is one post :

If you remove the software, reset your homepage and change your search engine, you haven't finished the job.

PROBLEM: If you type something in the address bar...you still end up at BABYLON!!!. I contacted Babylon repeatedly and they absolutely refuse to let you know how to fix this.....but after a couple days of research I finally found out how to do it. HERE IS HOW TO GET YOUR COMPUTER BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. click into the address bar in Firefox.......Type "about:config"

2. You will get a warning about your warranty.....bypass this.

3. In the next screen....type......"Babylon" in the Filter window (a search in the config)

4. You are now in the guts of Firefox.....and where Babylon did it's dirty work. You will find about 5 or six places where Babylon shows up.

5. Highlight each of these entries one at a time, right click and pick "reset".

6. When all have been reset.....close the file.

Now test:

Open firefox....type something weird into the address bar.as a test...and your browser should start acting normally and faster.....and BABYLON is GONE!by the way, the uninstaller file they tell you to use is identified as TROJAN by McAfee. Sleazy.

By the way, Babylon tries to get you to download an "uninstaller" package:

DO NOT DO IT.....McAfee intercepts it....it contains a TROJAN virus!!!! BEWARE.