pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I am sole installer and user of my XP Home SP2 machine. I have Administrator rights; (I checked to make sure in Safe Mode as the actual default Admin).

In trying to backup my System State, it "fails" 75% into it saying I don't have permission on certain sensitive files and that restore will fail.

I am completely confused about that, and, can I overcome this stupid anomaly?????

riser

Illustrious
You may need to disable Volume Shadow Copy, using the Advanced button during the Wizard.

Try backing up to a different partition or something else, not the active drive. Don't backup C: onto C:, but it up to D: or maybe even a USB drive, just incase.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I couldn't figure out how to "disable" shadow copy, (didn't seem to be an option for that).

However, I rebooted and brought the Backup utility up and used "normal" instead of "copy" to do the system state. This completed sucessfully.

I'm not sure if that's the answer to the original question.

Start --> Run --> services.msc

Shadow copy is a service, you'll find it there.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Thanks for that. I found it easily.

I put in another hard drive for "D" and put the paging file there, and the backups. They are going flawlessly now. I do a "State" every night before shutdown.