Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
I use, windows10 and I need to backup my project folders that are mainly contained within a folder structure, what I need to do is to copy all of the projects but exclude "delma" file within each project. Is there an easy way to do this in bulk automatically? As I have large quantities of projects to go through.

Solution
I am glad to say that my problem solved, Goodsync simply did it, however, I had already tried the trial versions of Macrium Reflect and Gs Richcopy 360, and works well but GoodSync looks better.
Or, purchase some more drive space...;)
@USAFRet
And I took your advice and advised the engineer to take "more drive/storage space " into consideration , many thanks

Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
@Lutfij
These links were actually my search results today, and these are what I quote my question from to build a professional question because I didn't find my answer in these links
Also I found this via Robocopy
robocopy SOURCE DESTINATION /mir /xd FOLDER_TO_EXCLUDE

How can I exclude the file automatically and the changes on the folders to be backed up automatically from the second time ?

LovelySandriana

Commendable
Jan 19, 2020
robocopy SOURCE DESTINATION /mir /xd FOLDER_TO_EXCLUDE
This is the direct solution
How can I exclude the file automatically and the changes on the folders to be backed up automatically from the second time ?
As I understand, you need to copy the whole folders except the delma folder , then to copy the updates on the folders automatically without copying the whole folders again, right ?

LovelySandriana

Commendable
Jan 19, 2020
I read it as excluding a particular file, that lives in each project folder. Not just one particular folder.
You are right , this is what I mean!
I think all his requests can be handled and directly solved with any of the backup tools, that can backup automatically or as scheduled backups and can copy the updates
Building a PowerShell script is another solution but it is a time-wasting.

Reactions: Amilia_Maa

Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
Why not just delete that file from the backup once it's done? I know there are backup utilities where you can use checkboxes on what to backup, have you looked at any? Easus Todo backup has a free version but I have not used it for a while so don't remember how flexible it is.
Hi hang-the-9
I am not talking about 1 folder named "delma" , I have large quantities of projects contains this folder "delma" , I came across some tools called " GoodSync", "Macrium Reflect", "Gs Richcopy 360" and I will take a look at " Easus Todo " today . thanks

Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
business needs :disrelieved:, the folder "delma" contains high quilty videos related to these projects, every video near 1 G or more, so we just need the other folders, we haven't big storage !!

USAFRet

Titan
business needs :disrelieved:, the folder "delma" contains high quilty videos related to these projects, every video near 1 G or more, so we just need the other folders, we haven't big storage !!
Then the easiest way would be to run a script to delete those folder (or just the videos)...then do the backup as desired.

Ralston18

Titan
I would vote for more drive/storage space.

Really not all that more expensive.

Nothing against script files but they must be maintained, kept updated, documented, tested, and otherwise become additional tasks for IT staff.

Even the smallest change somewhere in the digital workflows could end badly.

Be the process manual, automatic, or some mix - just another opportunity for Mr. Murphy to make a visit.....

And besides - you just may find yourself in a situation where you really, really wish you had one of those "older" project videos.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
Thanks, Really I like the more Storage idea, but after thinking a little bit, it means more cost, If we have at least 50 projects per 10 days, and every project size will be >=<5 G for delma folder and >=< 100M for the other folders, So we will need to purchase hard drive every month and if we think about storing on a cloud, it will be more expensive.

We just need the folders that may be sized 100M (less or more ) to be copied and we don't need to move delma folders, if a program like GoodSync can do this job, I think it will be within our budget to work with or you have another advice?

Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
What type of business is this?
Programming and Media

But lacking more drive space, I'd much prefer a two step approach.
Delete the unwanted folders/files first, then do the backup with whichever tool works.

Rather than doing that all in one step and tool.
This is a good idea but I need all the data to be at the source at least for 1 financial year, so deleting all the delma folders every 10 is not an option, also do it manually will take so much time.
then do the backup with whichever tool works.
Thank you, You gave me good ideas, this may be the needed solution and I will work on this and share with you the results soon

USAFRet

Titan
This is a good idea but I need all the data to be at the source at least for 1 financial year, so deleting all the delma folders every 10 is not an option, also do it manually will take so much time.
And now further requirements emerge.

The solution is - More drive space.

My little server farm in my living room is 65TB.
A business with multiple employees....drive space is a trivial expense.

Reactions: Amilia_Maa
Programming and Media

Thank you, You gave me good ideas, this may be the needed solution and I will work on this and share with you the results soon

Hold on here, you need all the files for the project but don't want to back up all those files? What happens if the original gets lost / damaged and you are missing that folder?

Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
Hold on here, you need all the files for the project but don't want to back up all those files? What happens if the original gets lost / damaged and you are missing that folder?
The delma folders (documentation videos )are not very important, the other files are the important ones.
Also, these delma files will be deleted after one financial year, and if we have any issue with the source, the important files should be there on the destination drive, got it?

USAFRet

Titan
As with any request like this, there are multiple questions that need to be asked and answered.

Having the requirements dribble out in little pieces does not work well.

What is the average total size of a "project", incl this delma data?
What is the size of the delma folder or file?
How many projects are created per week?
How often do you back things up?
What backup tool do you use now?
To what size/type drives?
How many employees?
What is the budget for this?
And probably a dozen more questions...

Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
@USAFRet
You are right and most of these questions answered above which leads us to think about the answers of the other questions.
What backup tool do you use now?
I don't,this what is on my mind right now and I don't have any experience with this staff to choose the suitable tool for my issue, I did a search for the below tools, I am confused 😷
Hi hang-the-9
I am not talking about 1 folder named "delma" , I have large quantities of projects contains this folder "delma" , I came across some tools called " GoodSync", "Macrium Reflect", "Gs Richcopy 360" and I will take a look at " Easus Todo " today . thanks

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
I don't,this what is on my mind right now and I don't have any experience with this staff to choose the suitable tool for my issue, I did a search for the below tools, I am confused 😷
And this leads to more questions:

How often do you want to do this data backup?
How long do things need to be retained?
What is your disaster plan? (ex: ransomware recovery)
How much data might be included?
What is the overall budget for this backup plan?
What specific named individual will be tasked with this backup/disaster recover plan?

Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
How often do you want to do this data backup?
every 10 days
How long do things need to be retained?
to be on the source for 1 financial year as I said before and on the destination: it will not be my responsibility, as it will be the responsibility of the Engineer who will check these projects, so I am just searching for a way to copy these files except this folder
How much data might be included?
As I said before, every project except the delma folder may be sized (less or more than 100M)
What is your disaster plan? (ex: ransomware recovery)
What is the overall budget for this backup plan?
What specific named individual will be tasked with this backup/disaster recover plan?
Why all of these ?? we are a small business and as I said before, once the needed data copied and sent to the Engineer, it will not be my responsibility !!

Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
I am glad to say that my problem solved, Goodsync simply did it, however, I had already tried the trial versions of Macrium Reflect and Gs Richcopy 360, and works well but GoodSync looks better.
@USAFRet
And I took your advice and advised the engineer to take "more drive/storage space " into consideration , many thanks

Solution